The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Annoying ABS..

fastasleep

I've had my ABS deactivated (unplugged big plug under the hood) for some time, but I was recently informed that I won't pass State Inspection with an ABS light on.

So,

1) I've heard there is a fuse I can pull. Will that turn off the light or do I have to manually pull the bulb from the gauge cluster? (I haven't ever done that before..)

2) How do I make sure the ABS sensor is within the correct tolerances? I just moved the sensor on the front passenger's side hub a little bit closer (this all started after I replaced the cv joint/axle on that side), but I still get grinding/pulsing when coming to a slow stop. I have even replaced the sensor on that side, but I still get the grinding/pulsing sound/feel.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Ben

donkeylips

Pulling the bulb is very easy but not really the best way. The light will go off if you unplug the control unit in your trunk area. As long as you never want to use your ABS again, do a proper ABS delete with a non-abs proportioning valve and the 4 non-abs front brake lines. Remove the sensors. If you follow the wires, it's pretty easy to unplug and remove them. You can also remove the entire ABS wiring harness pretty easily - and it will be as if you never had it in the first place.

fastasleep

I don't want to ever use the ABS again; however, I'm actually prepping the car to sell and top priority is for it to pass inspection, so unplugging the control unit it is! Where in the trunk is that guy?

donkeylips

If memory serves it's near your antenna.

fastasleep

Hmmm, I guess I can't find it. I unplugged two things right around the antenna and the ABS light remained on. Anybody got a pic?

donkeylips

524of1000

I removed the ABC computer and my light was still on as well. I ended up removing the bulb.

fastasleep

Can anyone confirm or deny that removing the ABS computer from the trunk will turn the ABS light off?

JSchleim18

Remove the fuse under the hood off the battery. It's the rectangular box with 4 fuses in it.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting fastasleep:
Can anyone confirm or deny that removing the ABS computer from the trunk will turn the ABS light off?

Pretty sure it has to. I'm not sure where else the CEL for ABS would possibly come from. In my '91 I know I don't have the ABS light on and I removed it all?

Struc

Quoting JSchleim18:
Remove the fuse under the hood off the battery. It's the rectangular box with 4 fuses in it.

Removing that fuse can cause wierd side effects. Car may idle really high until you coast down to 13mph. Not sure if it does it if you pull the ABS Computer fully and then pull the fuse, however.

Also, I wouldn't remove the sensors without blocking the holes in the rear. Just leave the sensors there and cut the wires.

Last edited:

gtluke

there is a series of 3 plugs under the hood on the drive side by the PS reservoir, unplug the middle one. Kills the abs and the light.

fastasleep

I've had the middle plug unplugged, which is why my ABS light is on in the first place. I'll give the fuse method a shot.

fastasleep

Is there a trick to removing the foremost ABS fuse from the cluster on the (+) batt. terminal? That thing does not want to come out..

toybreaker

iconoclast
It's bolted in to the battery terminal fuse block.

Unclip the sides of the lower case and you will see the bolts

fastasleep

Thank you!

However, the ABS light remains on (ABS fuse removed and connector by the PS pump is unplugged)...

I suppose disconnecting the bulb is my last resort, save unplugging the control unit in the trunk.

Does anyone have the How To link handy for gauge cluster removal?

(ps. I discovered I just blew a t-bolt clamp. What are the odds of that?)

Last edited:

donkeylips

Wait, so you didn't unplug the control unit in the trunk?

Isn't removal of the cluster just 2 screws to take the bezel off then 2 or 4 screws and the thing should just pull straight out.

cspetros

The ABS lamp in the gauge panel has 2 paths to ground, one through the Hydraulic unit (relays and such in the engine bay), and one through the ABS control unit (in the trunk):

Click image to see full size. Pardon the crude arrows... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif (This is the same for both 1991 and 1992, by the way)

If something goes wrong with either of these, the light comes on. Maybe removing one without the other causes a fault in the one not removed, and causes the light to illuminate? It is most certain that if both connections were removed, the light would not come on... seeing as there would be nothing to switch it on.

The connector numbers are listed in the diagram, but I'm pretty sure that you know which ones they are.

Hope this helps!

fastasleep

Hey guys,

What are the tolerances for the ABS Sensor on the front passenger side? I've moved the thing near and far by sight a few times and my ABS still kicks in when it shouldn't, so I may have the opportunity for a shop to set it accurately. I just need to know the range/tolerance. Thanks!

Ben

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts