The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hot start and A/C affecting idle!

cheekychimp

I know there are a lot of threads around regarding idle issues at the moment so I have been looking through those and gleaning what information I can. I've decided to rebuild the stock half of my throttle body according to the advice I have been given. Consequently, I have an FIAV block off from JNZ tuning, a new ISC and some ISC connectors to extend my '90 engine harness on the way.

I just want to a second opinion on the following:-

If the car is completely cold after standing for at least 2-3 hours it starts without issue, gives me a fast idle of around 1200-1500 rpms for a few minutes until it warms up and then settles down to a fairly stable 750-800 rpm idle after that. I sometimes get a slight stumble on deceleration at junctions which could be a result of the lightened flywheel I have installed but other than that it runs fine.

However, if I do a hot start say 10-15 minutes after switching off (like when I pick Nathan up from school) I get horrific idle surge and the car constantly stalls every time I take my foot off the throttle. Trying to do a three point turn in the narrow school road is an absolute nightmare as the car stalls 5-10 times in the process. It also surges really really badly with the A/C on like from 500-1500 rpms until it eventually dips so low it stalls which again is frustrating since it has started getting really hot during the afternoon.

Since I've already bought all the parts I'm going to rebuild the TB regardless (I'm still hoping that this is just the bad ISC going freaky as it heats up) but could the hot start issue indicate any other possible problems or causes that I haven't considered? I will check all the vacuum hoses and set the BISS again when I fit the new parts but other than that I don't know what else could be causing this.

Paul.

dmj

Paul, check your fuel pressure regulator.My car had the same symptons you describe last year.I checked everything reset the biss, timing ,tested for a leaky injector then I removed the vac hose to the FPR and it was leaking fuel, turns out that there was a pinhole in the diaphram. keep us updated

ktmrider

#86 did this last summer, found one of the four ISC coils was bad ( open instead of a short thankfully ).

cheekychimp

Quoting dmj:
Paul, check your fuel pressure regulator.My car had the same symptons you describe last year.I checked everything reset the biss, timing ,tested for a leaky injector then I removed the vac hose to the FPR and it was leaking fuel, turns out that there was a pinhole in the diaphram. keep us updated

I'll check that! I had a diaphragm on a fuel regulator rupture completely once. Had to get towed that day! Mike, I'm really hoping it is just the ISC but if so I want to swap it out asap before it fries the ECU!!!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned