The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Dyno Chart Oddity **Update 1.1**

Chad989of2000

I was going over the last dyno results I had for 141 and noticed that it doesn't quite look right. As you can see everything drops off at 5200rpm...a bit too early for the setup I'm running (for complete mods see my member's ride thread) and yes I assure you I'm running all supporting mods. I also could only make about 15-16 lbs of boost to make these numbers. Shouldn't the peak power be a bit higher on the rpm scale? Am I experiencing timing issues or fuel issue? Also note that I'm running 550cc injectors that were recently cleaned/flow tested by Fuel Injector Clinic so they're all flowing very well.

Last edited:

BPU925

does the car sputter above 5200? or does it just like stop flowing?....im sure u knew this was coming but...boost leak test?

Chad989of2000

No sputtering...power just kinda levels off and falls above that level. Boost test was fine...holds like a charm. Car also has a Tial 38mm external wastegate, so no issues there. I am suspect of my boost controller (HKS EVC EZ) I plan to hook up an old Hallman MBC and rule this out. Other than that the car drives amazingly and makes pretty good power down low and mid. I'm just a bit stumped. I do also see a fair amount of white smoke on the high rpms under heavy load (4th and 5th gear)...not sure what that means also.

Last edited:

BPU925

Ah good ol electronic BC's....lol.....throw that mani on there and go see wat 20 psi feels like....lol

belize1334

Rather than making us search for your members ride page, why don't you give us the highlights on your setup? What turbo are you running?

2of9

^^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif took me 5 seconds
click

What did your tuner say? it drops off quite dramatically. what color is the smoke?

Chad989of2000

White smoke but only at higher RPMS (5500 +) in 4th and 5th gears.

belize1334

I'm just saying that it's better to have all the pertinent information made explicit within the thread...

For reference, here's a dyno pull I did a few years back. click Note that I hit 17psi on my s16g by about 3300rpm and the power climbs smoothly from there to peak at about 6500 rpm. Not only does yours shut down hard at 5200, but it doesn't come on as fast as it should. With that turbo you should be hitting peak torque at or below 4k rpm. The fact that your torque curve rises smoothly to 5300 suggests that your boost controller is not working correctly or you've got some other serious issue. What kind of wastegate are you using? Are you sure you have it configured correctly?

Last edited:

Chad989of2000

Wastegate is a Tial 38mm, I added this to stop the boost creep I was getting with the E3 16g stock internal. I'm gonna plug in a spare Hallman MBC this weekend and test that to eliminate the boost controller as a suspect. After which I plan to re-torque the head studs and make sure everything is still to spec there.

prestonztt

What exhaust? What air filter? Are your plugs fresh? Boost leak?

It doesnt look like its breaking up, just looks like the power is dropping off for whatever reason. Looks like there is restriction somewhere.

Chad989of2000

Member's Ride Page has all mods listed...but yeah...Exhaust: 3" highflow cat, 2G ported mani. Intake: K&N Filter, 482 MAS, pipe straight into turbo. Plugs: 2 week old NGK BPR7ES. Boost leak again...negative. Gonna start with troubleshooting the boost controller research is showing me that when the start to go bad they can still control boost but not to the limits they can when operating normally. Hope that this solves it, but it really doesn't explain the white smoke I get.

Nartanian

I thought white smoke is generally coolant related leak. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

BPU925

my friends 2g gst was restricting in the same way....his turned out to be his flex section on his exhaust expanded on the inside......went from 3 inch to bout 2 or maybe less

alansupra94

Quoting Nartanian:
I thought white smoke is generally coolant related leak. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Problem here is that the turbo is water cooled so it COULD be the turbo or the headgasket.

belize1334

I assume you have a boost gauge? At what rpm do you reach full spool? It's hard to tell from the dyno plot so maybe you're spooling but just not making power. Does the boost fall off as you reach higher rpms past 5200?

BPU925

before u had boost creep?....so u got external wastegate...did external wastegate work fine without BC or did u always have BC hooked up to it?

3rdstrikedsm

So only 15psi? Why such a low boost level?

Chad989of2000

Boost controller was always hooked up (HKS EVC EZ) even before the external...and I never turned up the boost past 15psi. The only time I saw higher was when I threw in the E3 16G which is notorious for boost creeping and that's just what mine did. Put the external in to control this and it works fine. 15psi is all I can make with the EBC turned up all the way. Car holds boost into the higher RPMs but power drops of noticeably. Boost stays at 15 psi even when the power drops off. Can a BC really cause all this...no power up top, white smoke?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts