The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Broken piece inside tranny

OMFGeofffff

So I was helping my buddy with his 99 GSX and he was having a "can't get into gear with engine running" problem. First thought was bleed clutch/replace slave cylinder. Did that and adjusted the master cylinder. Still nothing. So I crawled under there and pulled the fork boot away from the tranny and this piece came falling out. Any ideas?

Rausch

Piece of a pressure plate spring/tang?

What is it made of? It's really hard to tell in the pics.

OMFGeofffff

A magnet is attracted to it so it must be steel?

Last edited:

OMFGeofffff

Also, the pressure plate was yellow to narrow down possible brands.

OMFGeofffff

Sorry for wasting space I thought this was going to be a lot harder to figure out.

To confirm what's wrong it definitely looks like part of the pressure plate.

act-plate.jpg

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting OMFGeofffff:
A magnet isn't attracted to it so it must be steel?

Magnetic WOULD be steel. And I'm guessing you meant that a magnet WAS attracted to that part of the pressure plate, as it should be stee.

OMFGeofffff

Quoting jepherz:
Quoting OMFGeofffff:
A magnet isn't attracted to it so it must be steel?

Magnetic WOULD be steel. And I'm guessing you meant that a magnet WAS attracted to that part of the pressure plate, as it should be stee.

Yea that's what I meant. I told my buddy what it was and he'll be ordering a new clutch kit within the next few weeks.

curtis

Your buddy needs to stop driving it. An out of balance pressure plate combo is an explosion waiting to happen.

OMFGeofffff

Yea he's not driving it. He can't go into gear at all so it's just sitting now. It's funny though he just bought it a couple months ago and is already thinking about getting rid of it cause he can't handle dsm's I guess.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned