The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

AEM EMS owners HELP!

alansupra94

I know this might sound weird but where the deuce do you mount your EMS? It doesn't fit in the stock location.....unless it is suppose too?

a friend of mine mounted it in the glove box. he took it out every time he parked the car.

alansupra94

Interesting.....I guess my question now is how did he get the wires up there? Did he extend them? I kinda didn't want to cut the stock glovebox but maybe I will have too.

Thanks,
Alan

Another plus to having dsmlink/ecmtuning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Stock ecu fits in stock location. No way would I want to give up my glove box. Get busy on extending the wiring harness and mount it under the passenger seat. Or build a mount for it so it kind of works as a passenger footrest, but make a vented cover for it so people don't actually step on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

OMFGeofffff

Might as well make an extension harness and mount it like what ^^^^^he said or maybe behind the radio?

i dont think he extended the wires but they might have been a little lengthy because the ecu was in a talon before switching to a galant.

alansupra94

Quoting ItsAliiive:
Another plus to having dsmlink/ecmtuning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Stock ecu fits in stock location. No way would I want to give up my glove box. Get busy on extending the wiring harness and mount it under the passenger seat. Or build a mount for it so it kind of works as a passenger footrest, but make a vented cover for it so people don't actually step on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I had DSMLink and Jackal. Didn't have enough options for my needs. I will let you know what I figure out. I might even just hide it somewhere close by. I will let you know what I figure out.

Thanks,
Alan

beefajita

I got my AEM ecu into the stock location. First I took the factory ECU's metal cradle and cut the walls off of it until it was a flat piece. Then I painted the cradle with Rustoleum so it wont rust where I cut it. Second I combined two worm clamps to hold the AEM to the flattened cradle, and added electrical tape at the main contact points so as to avoid scratching the AEM box ( I like it to be in good condition for when it breaks and I have to send it back ). The AEM mounted onto the cradle allows you to use the two lower bolt holes on the cradle to bolt the AEM into factory location, though the fit is tight, you can still have data cable connected as I do. Third I cut 3 inches or so off of the black sound deadening on the inside of the firewall with a box cutter in a vertical slice to allow for clearance of the AEM box into factory location. Last I had to trim part of he 'L' bracket that bolts the lower dash bar (the one with the main relay and glove box hinges on it) to the chasis by the ECU and its grounds. Two pictures included are one showing AEM in its home and worm clamp is visible, the other is looking up at the ECU from the carpet and on the right is the 'L' bracket that needed trimming (grinding). So the AEM fit without wiring additions, just a little patience and some finesse.

The next time I am in that part of the dash (to deal with filthy blower probably) I will take more detailed pictures of all that I made and changed for the ECU install.

Galantvr41062

What version do you have? The AEM EMS vs 2 is a little smaller then the original silver box EMS. I have booth and I do not recall what I did to fit the ems inplace when I had an interior.

P271010012.JPG

Picture_20055.jpg

~John

alansupra94

Quoting beefajita:
I got my AEM ecu into the stock location. First I took the factory ECU's metal cradle and cut the walls off of it until it was a flat piece. Then I painted the cradle with Rustoleum so it wont rust where I cut it. Second I combined two worm clamps to hold the AEM to the flattened cradle, and added electrical tape at the main contact points so as to avoid scratching the AEM box ( I like it to be in good condition for when it breaks and I have to send it back ). The AEM mounted onto the cradle allows you to use the two lower bolt holes on the cradle to bolt the AEM into factory location, though the fit is tight, you can still have data cable connected as I do. Third I cut 3 inches or so off of the black sound deadening on the inside of the firewall with a box cutter in a vertical slice to allow for clearance of the AEM box into factory location. Last I had to trim part of he 'L' bracket that bolts the lower dash bar (the one with the main relay and glove box hinges on it) to the chasis by the ECU and its grounds. Two pictures included are one showing AEM in its home and worm clamp is visible, the other is looking up at the ECU from the carpet and on the right is the 'L' bracket that needed trimming (grinding). So the AEM fit without wiring additions, just a little patience and some finesse.

Wonderful! I knew someone modified something to make it fit! Thanks I will be trying this out very soon! +1 to you sir!

The next time I am in that part of the dash (to deal with filthy blower probably) I will take more detailed pictures of all that I made and changed for the ECU install.

beefajita

here are a couple pics with a/c stuff removed for cleaning/maintenance
I am pointing to where I sliced off some of the black sound deadening stuff.

It was not necessary to remove a/c stuff to install ECU, though looking at it now, If you have no Freon in your system or plan on evacuating it, removing the under-dash blower and evaporator would make the AEM ECU install easier.

alansupra94

I actually got it in the stock location by removing the tray. Removing the glove box was the only thing I needed to do in order to get it in there. Was pretty easy after giving it a shot.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts