The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cutting H&R springs

I want my car much lower than the springs have it sitting. How do you go about cutting the springs to make it sit lower?

belize1334

The front springs should not be cut or they won't sit right. The rears are progressive and have about 3 "dead" coils on one end which are low pitch and are bound from the start. Cutting these will have no impact on the way the coil mounts or rides. I cut about 1.5 coils from mine which gave it a nice level stance.

belize1334

Check out this link... click

Those aren't H&R but you get the idea. One end has the coils very closely stacked. So closely stacked that under weight the first four or five coils are already bound and contribute nothing to the suspension behavior. Now, say you want the car 1" lower. You measure the thickness of the coils themselves to be about 0.4" (wild guess, you'll want to measure it). So that 1" is the same as 1.5 coils. So you start from the end and trace 1.5 turns along the spring and make your mark. Get out your hack saw and cut. Just be careful not to scar the adjacent coils and paint the "wound" when you're done. Voila! Note, it is very important that you cut on the stacked end since removing a few turns won't change the pitch of the coils so they'll still sit in the spring perch. If you cut the other end you'll remove the part of the coil that's meant to sit in the pearch and you'll be left with a spring that can't be mounted without welding a retaining bracket.

Last edited:

PJGross

I have H&R GVR4 springs on agx struts, and I'm not sure I would go any lower in the front. My transfer case is less than 4.5" off the ground. That's pretty darn low. The rear could come down some, but not the front.

Course my car has not seen the road in 8 years or so, but from what I remember bumps, holes, and just driveways were a bitch to navigate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-PJ

belize1334

Yes... in case I wasn't clear... DO NOT CUT THE FRONT COILS!. Cutting is only done in the rear to level the ride...

Yeah the front is good. But my car sits a little uneven on the left and right side because my struts are blown /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif but looking to get the kyg's soon

belize1334

Our cars are heavy on the front-left corner. Unless you can adjust the spring heights (coilover) it's gonna sag in that corner, no way around it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned