The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Transmission compatibility question

I tried searching around and I did find a few threads pertaining to transmissions, but instead of bringing back 3-4 year old threads I decided this would be best. I know that the gears between 1g dsms and gvrs are different, but I'm curious if a complete 1g dsm tranny will bolt right up and work with my 91 gvr4.

I've also seen people mention a galant gsx. Last I checked, there was such thing as an eclipse gsx and a galant vr4. Could somebody help me out with some useful links or knowledge.

Sorry if this is a silly question /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
-Brian

Here are a few that will work.
W5M33-2-NQBK 91-2 Galant VR4 up to 4/92
> W5M33-2-NQBM 92 Galant VR4 mfg 5/92
> W5M33-2-NPXV 91-94 Eclipse AWD 5spd mfg 6/90-2/94
> W5M33-2-NNZT 95? Eclipse AWD 5spd mfg 3/94

> W5M33-2-NPZT 95-96 Eclipse AWD 5spd mfg 3/94-6/96
>
> switchable 2WD->4WD JDM Galant trans
> C5OPH-EK1420 or
> C5JPF-FL8420

Go to the How-To section and look at all trans related posts.

Ok I found this thread from 2004-2007 and I think it's what I need haha. click

There's a local guy selling a galant gsx trans and that through me for a loop for a sec. I'm new to the galant scene and I've read about people doing a gsx conversion. I guess I just assumed that meant swap stuff from the eclipse gsx to the galant vr4. My bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

cheekychimp

Yeah whatever you do don't just throw a Galant GSX gearbox on the car. You can do it but not unless you use the matching rear diff as well, because they are completely different ratios.

donkeylips

Your best bet is finding the 91-94 AWD DSM trans because of their abundance. Only difference is the shorter and stronger first gear. You can make a '90 trans work without much work but I wouldn't bother with it. And if you had access to a cheap 2g AWD trans you can also make that work with little difficulty and it will probably shift a little bit smoother. I'm not sure if they are as strong as the 1g transmissions though.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned