The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Unusual Idle speeds

Okay, for the past month every time I start up 1886 the engine idles at 2300rpm on cold starts. After a few minutes the idle becomes sporadic, bouncing between 1600rpm and 2200rpm. To describe this, when the idle hits 2200rpm it drops down to 1600rpm fast, it does this like I'm continuously revving the motor. I'm not sure what is causing this problem and it IS getting annoying /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif because when I leave work people think I am revving my car at them at stop lights. However when the engine is at operating temps, this problem goes away. Any help guys? I can post up a video of this problem so you can see/hear what I'm talking about.

Check your Idle Speed Control Valve located right under your throttle body. Pull that badboy off and use a voltmeter to check the resistance between the pins. You can see how to do this here. If your ISC is working correctly I would look into blocking off your Fast Idle Air Valve (FIAV). You can find more info on the FIAV here and here. Happy reading and good luck!
-Brian

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts