The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo IX suspension

Picking up a low mileage(less than 2k miles)Evo IX suspension this weekend. Hopefully they wont be a pita to install. I have been reading and following along with all the guys who have done this conversion so hopefully I will have good results. Wished all the threads were combined though they are kind of scattered all over the site, it would be nice if the posts were combined and nicely outlined say in the tech/how to sections, and yes I have read the Evo VIII supension on a galant as well as the other links. I will have lots of questions I am sure lol.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Okayplayer

I have an EVO VIII suspension setup on my car it the install was pretty straight forward. Just make sure have a method of securing the brake lines to the struts. I had some clamps with some bolts welded to them and haven't had a problem in almost 7k miles. Also, you'll want make a choice on lowering springs, as the stock EVO ones will sit the front of the car high with a lot of positive camber. Other than the welding, pretty easy and quick to do. Good luck

My fabricator and I will be giving it a shot I'm sure I will be pm'ing quite a few people here. I may just get the tunersnation braided stainless steel lines for the galantvr4 with Evo suspension to fix that. Who sells the spacers for the front struts anyways????

Last edited by a moderator:

these thread here
click
click
quoting pudhed
The problems are: Galant struts have 22mm spacing between the strut ears,
Evo struts have 27mm spacing between the ears. So spacers are needed for
the front. The Evo rears have a fork, rather than a loop, so some welding is needed.

img.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunoboy

dont forget the hardened washers. I am only using one spacer up front btw...

On a side note since the evolution 8&9 stock suspensions fit on our cars would it be safe to assume that a set of aftermarket coil overs designed for the evolution with similar modifications needed to fit the stock suspension would also work for the aftermarket coil overs to make them fit on the galant? Evolution guys change their suspensions quite often and sometimes sells them cheaply. Only issue I can for see is the top hats and mounts which I imagine can be taken care of by either re-drilling the galants tower for the evo's spacing or adding some after market Galant camber plates. Is this possible or am I overly simplifying this. Any thoughts????

Quoting brunoboy:

I didn't thanks brunoboy. Would some after market evo springs like the tein s techs also take care of not having
to cut the factory springs(I would rather not do this)to lower the car a bit I found them as cheap as $100 bucks
for a full set they are used of course......

Brunoboy

Quoting Blown1:
On a side note since the evolution 8&9 stock suspensions fit on our cars would it be safe to assume that a set of aftermarket coil overs designed for the evolution with similar modifications needed to fit the stock suspension would also work for the aftermarket coil overs to make them fit on the galant? Evolution guys change their suspensions quite often and sometimes sells them cheaply. Only issue I can for see is the top hats and mounts which I imagine can be taken care of by either re-drilling the galants tower for the evo's spacing or adding some after market Galant camber plates. Is this possible or am I overly simplifying this. Any thoughts????

I know Tre3zy cut his fronts to fit the Evo Top hat, I wouldnt recommend doing Evo aftermarket coilovers because for the price and labor you can buy a new set of BC's from GW. Thats the route I am going after I gather cash.
-Shane

Brunoboy

Quoting Blown1:
Quoting brunoboy:

I didn't thanks brunoboy. Would some after market evo springs like the tein s techs also take care of not having
to cut the factory springs(I would rather not do this)to lower the car a bit I found them as cheap as $100 bucks
for a full set they are used of course......

I have Tanabe Lowering springs on my Evo Suspension. and Tre3zy has teins and his sits lower than mine.

Quoting brunoboy:
Quoting Blown1:

I know Tre3zy cut his fronts to fit the Evo Top hat, I wouldnt recommend doing Evo aftermarket coilovers because for the price and labor you can buy a new set of BC's from GW. Thats the route I am going after I gather cash.
-Shane

I know Garfield has good prices on the bc coil overs I can get them also thru my company they are still $900-$1000 bucks.I might be able to pick up some decent coilovers for 300-400 bucks with some miles on them from my friend who's about to change the suspension on his evo again..... Wth I should just buy an Evo lol....

Tre3zy

EVO SHOCKS WITH TEIN S's

^^^^^^^^ Very nice me likey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CutlassJim

Quoting Tre3zy:
EVO SHOCKS WITH TEIN S's

Yours sits a lot lower than mine in the front with the same setup.

DSCN2326.jpg

Evo struts with Teins on my Expo. Yes I still need to lower the back.

DSCN3316.jpg

I've put about 800 miles on my Evo MR suspension that I picked up from Garfield.

I drilled the strut towers to use the Evo top hats and the knuckles to use the stock Evo strut bolts.

I cut a coil from the bottom of the front stock MR springs and the car sits perfect and rides great.

Brianawd

Quote:
I cut a coil from the bottom of the front stock MR springs and the car sits perfect and rides great

How much did it lower the car by cutting 1 coil? Asking because I just picked up evo 9 springs and struts to go on my Ggsx. Its my ski car and don't want to lower it that much. would like to keep it stock hight or close to it.

Tre3zy

^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts