The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How-to Battery Relocation ,Not trunk

moidsm1

Hello all,
I dont think anybody has used this method on here, but if someone already did a writeup go ahead and delete.

The PO of 96/1000 did a trunk battery relocation and I never liked that on any of my cars. So I went ahead and moved it back to the front, very close to the original location with a twist.

I used a civic sized battery and clocked it 180* and tucked it in a little to the Passenger fender. There was no major cutting needed to do this other than two holes for your tie-down brackets.

You must remove your original mounting pan so you have a good surface to work on. Then take the battery and push it as far left as you can and kinda settle it in place. Once you do that you can get an idea of how long you need to make your ground cable.
I think I used an 8-10 inch ground cable.
I had to trial and error which ground terminal and ended up using this one, I think I bought it at walmart. The stock terminal is the same style so it should work too.

Once you have all the cables situated you can start to work on the tie-downs.

You have to make a rectangular slot on the pass side firewall to slip your top tie down in . I used a drill and finished the shaping with a file.

Once you slip in the top tie down you can figure out wheree to drill a hole on the bottom floow next to the battery for the Longer tie-down.

For the top tie down I used a flat piece of steel from ace hardware, I drilled a hole in one end and at the other end I bent it 1/2 inch from the end to make a 90* bend up.

Next I used a longer style tie down from Orielley auto parts

Now for the Battery I lucked out and found this one which had the correct terminal orientation. I have supplied the part number in the pic but Ill write it here in case the pics do not show.

DEKA 551RMF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU CANT USE ANY CIVIC BATTERY THEY ARE NOT THE RIGHT TERMINAL ORIENTATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The battery is maintenance free and the tie downs I created keeop the battery locked down tight. Good Luck!!

The pictures speak for themselves and are pretty self explanitary. That is a GT35 turbo

CutlassJim

The 51R has reverse negative and positive posts as opposed to a 51 series battery. So any 51R will work. I like this a lot as I also hate trunk mounted batteries but I also don't like the weight of a battery mounted so high and also way in the front of the car like that. I still like this place that I came up with 7ish years ago and seems to be pretty popular. Plus it wouldn't work with an intake setup like mine as it seems to be much more into the fender.

DSCN2320.jpg

moidsm1

This setup can balance your car out if you still have an ABS unit on the driver side. HAHA

brisvr4

As I'm using short route IC piping I used a small battery and put it in front of the wheel well underneath it's original position.
I made up a frame for it and secured it to the chassis rail.

22d4bff6.jpg

Chicago1

Quoting CutlassJim:
The 51R has reverse negative and positive posts as opposed to a 51 series battery. So any 51R will work. I like this a lot as I also hate trunk mounted batteries but I also don't like the weight of a battery mounted so high and also way in the front of the car like that. I still like this place that I came up with 7ish years ago and seems to be pretty popular. Plus it wouldn't work with an intake setup like mine as it seems to be much more into the fender.

DSCN2320.jpg

More info on that set up?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts