The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

standalone ecu?

i know most people go with AEM but im looking for something a little different/better than that. i have been eying the Autronic line for my needs. i have read a few post here with no one mentioning its a bad choice. i just wanted to openly discuss the major differences between AEM and Autronic for buying and performance.

citymunky

Never heard of it, what about Haltech?

3rdstrikedsm

Vi-pec v88 is one of the best out there right now, It was created by Ray hall the guy who started Autronic but this is much more advanced than autronic.

Last edited:

Quoting FavNumber:
WTF is autronic?

autronic is a bad-ass standalone IMO makes others out there look like inferior toy computers. im not that good at explaining things as you can see so if someone would like to get a bit more technical than 'bad-ass' please chime in.

524of1000

You might also consider an Evo8 ECU swap. It does the same as these stand alones and cost a fraction of the price...

GVR-4

Do any of the standalones have boost as an input to the control system?

Quoting 524of1000:
You might also consider an Evo8 ECU swap. It does the same as these stand alones and cost a fraction of the price...

really? how does this work?

524of1000

click

There are a couple of people running these already. I haven't got mine fully installed yet but I'm getting there.

3rdstrikedsm

Quoting 524of1000:

Ugh not quite /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif While it is a good hack type mod it is very far from sems, Big difference and vi-pec is around 2k with 5 bar map sensor if I recall what I paid for mine and in all honesty v88 shits on everything out there right now including Autronic which is a bit old now so it does not have the ability to do things like the vi-pec such as self tune etc etc.

Aem is pure garbage and a stock evo 8 ecu is better than AEM.

Last edited:

3rdstrikedsm

Yes it is complete garbage when compared to other options out there even megasquirt is better that AEM but AEM has better marketing so everyone thinks it is better and trust me it is not!

Jesh

Quoting thedsmguy:
AEM is not garbage.

Thats all.

This.
And I haven't heard of Autronic either, gunna have to look that one up. And I personally have had good result's with AEM.

Last edited:

raptorWagon

I have a Megasquirt ECU, just need to figure out what car to put it on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

bazeng

I'm running an autronic sm4 here. All I can say is that this is one of the best ecus around. It has the ability to autotune and uses ve as opposed to ms for its fuel calculations. If you search youtube, you can see it in action. Remember this ecu is much older than Vipec, Haltech and AEM but is still on par with them today. Ray hall was not the creator, only a distributor of Autronic. Autronic also has knock control which retards cylinder by cylinder so you can maximise timing on each individual cylinder. Don't forget Motec either guys! Expensive but worth every penny.

Last edited:

GVR-4

Not trying to be annoying by repeating my question, but do any of these use boost pressure as an input?

alansupra94

Quoting 3rdstrikedsm:
Yes it is complete garbage when compared to other options out there even megasquirt is better that AEM but AEM has better marketing so everyone thinks it is better and trust me it is not!

What? How is AEM "garbage". You haven't even explained why but rather just shouting your opinion randomly.

In essence, for the majority of what people will use, anything that is a standalone will suffice. What separates them is their advanced features and user interface.

What makes me qualified to make this decision? I have owned a Motec M4 Pro, Motec M8 Pro, Haltech E6X, Microtech LT8, AEM EMS and Megasquirt. I tuned and set everything up. I never owned Vipec or Pro-EFI but have seen both and are pretty good. Also there are many things that people "claim" aren't capable when in fact they are if you know how to program it. That and everyone like to compare the AEM V1 which is VERY old to the newest ECUs that are coming out.

Here is a good example of why AEM and Pro-EFI can be considered above the rest. In supras, they are the only ECUs that can control the automatic transmission.

Here is a good example of why Motec can be considered above the rest. They offer some of the best telemetry available in the race world.

Now lets be 100% realistic here. If you are normal dude, you are going to need a tuner to do everything for you. Hence 80% of those fancy features, you wouldn't even use because it would require a crapload of tweaking that a normal tuner won't do unless you are willing to pay him for his time. If you an advanced tuner, more than likely you will shade towards an ECU that you are comfortable with and have learned their software.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts