The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help me out.

Chase

This is my first DSM, and at this point Im kind of lost as to what to check next. Car idles like it has cams in the damn thing and the motor is all stock. I tried flipping the CAS and that seemed to not help at all so I put it back. It also is misfiring under rev now and the plugs are new and the coil and wires are fine. Just looking for some input on what to check next. Im attaching a video of it at idle. Keep in mind it has no exhaust right now so it sounds like hell. Thanks in advance.

click

Chase

Its been acting up since I got it. I got the car with a motor that had a spun bearing so I put a whole new running motor in the car. It doesnt have a ton done to it either. evoIII 16g on a crap tubular mani, fmic, 2g maf, the head is ported if i remember right but that shouldnt do that, 10mm wires and thats really it motor wise at the moment.

desant78

this is a really dumb suggestion...but I have feel victim to this.

make sure the spark plugs wire are in the same place...and I DID THIS TOO. I just did not realize the previous owner, attached the coil pack in such a way it was not clear which should be the front or back. for the hell of it, i put the plugs in complete opposite order, basically backwards.

and this fixed this exact issue! so hard to start...misfiring like yours, and was very very unresponsive. good luck!

vtecds1

Did you change the belt or check for timing?

Try to find someone that has a known good injector resistor pack and power transistor/igniter.

Try a boost leak test too. And like someone else said, double check that your spark plug wires are on the correct coil pack ports.

How is your ecu? OPen it up and inspect the board for cap leak.

And check wiring to cas and make sure there are no broken wires. In fact check for broken wires on every electrical part as the wiring on these cars is very old and brittle by now.

onesickcrx

Quoting Chase:
I checked the timing on the motor before it went in. It was correct.

How about with a timming light?

NYC86ZC

You have a 2g maf, but do you have a chip or 550's?

Quoting Chase:
Its been acting up since I got it. I got the car with a motor that had a spun bearing so I put a whole new running motor in the car. It doesnt have a ton done to it either. evoIII 16g on a crap tubular mani, fmic, 2g maf, the head is ported if i remember right but that shouldnt do that, 10mm wires and thats really it motor wise at the moment.

Chase

ECU is not leaking, isnt an eprom either. No chip but I do have Evo 560's in it.

vtecds1

I could be wrong...but don't you need some sort of fuel controller?

turbowop

560's and a 2gMaf almost cancel each other out. It will run and idle fine, but I wouldn't start stomping the throttle all over without some sort of tuning device. That is what I run in 503 and with the SAFC zeroed out it starts and runs just fine. I had to make minor adjustments for idle and cruising and some bigger adjustments to airflow/fuel at WOT.

Chase

Yea I have the AFC and its zeroed and it still acts up. I disconnected the maf signal though because it wouldnt start at all with it which is why I didnt mention it.

AnotherNewb

Quoting onesickcrx:
Quoting Chase:
I checked the timing on the motor before it went in. It was correct.

How about with a timming light?

Since you pulled the CAS it NEEDS to be adjusted with a timing light now. The simple checks would be a boost/vacuum leak test. Re-check the gap on your spark plugs and get a data logger. Once you do that, do a cylinder drop test by pulling plug wires one by one until you find the one that doesn't change the idle or doesn't kill the motor. Also a compression test or leak down test may be needed.

Did you know anything about this motor before you put it in?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned