The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Recipe for 16g torque

Olson

This is a long ways out for myself but I like to ponder these things while I can.
The Galant is going to go into a different stage of life from a track car to rally-x car.
Looking at a 2.0 displacement no more maybe a bit more compression but nothing to crazy.
So for all the guys out there that have built motors and have thought about this. what combo would one be looking at to maximize torque in a 16g setup car for rallyx?

JSchleim18

If you're starting new:

6 bolt block
9.0:1 or better pistons
Aluminum rods
Sonata Head
Evo 3 intake manifold
1G Throttle Body
2.5" IC piping

Basically, keep things somewhat small but not small enough where you are hurting power. Volumetric efficiency is key here.

Olson

Right now I have stock crank big rods ross foraged piston bc 280's 950 fic's dsmlink 1g head and non turbo throttle body.
My thought are this.
Bump the comp grab the hyandi head work the ports a bit evo 3 man and 264 cams

JSchleim18

Forgot about the cams...

Kelford makes a 258 rally cam or a 264/260 combo...one of those 2 choices IMO

Or HKS 264's would be fine if you don't wanna spend $500 for new cams.

onesickcrx

10.5:1 or 11:1 on E85 any decent rod with small cam 264 being biggest 280's are not for this setup.

whay a sonata head?
Do they have smaller ports like 2g/evo 7bolt heads? I know evo3 IM are for 7bolt heads...

I am building a evo3 16g setup. Want to maximize spool and tourque to make a fun daily driver/weekend warrior...
My set-up:
stock 7.8:1 compression bottom end
rebuilt 1g head(de-bured)
hks264/272 cams
1g IM(inlet ported to 63mm)
FFWC rebuilt 63mm big bore TB
EVO316g ported
2g exhaust mani(ported) TiAL MVS on #1 runner(DTA)
3in exhaust with high flow cat
MLS HG/ARP head studs
ACT 2600 clutch

any suggestions/comments/concerns/ on my set-up? I am open minded as I have not installed head/cams/IM/TB yet...
Thanks!
AR

JSchleim18

^^THREADJACKKERRRR /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

Sonata head has 2G intake ports, stud hole size is the same as a 1G (meaning you can use the larger ARP Headstuds), and a smaller combustion chamber = higher compression

also I have...
2.5in IC piping with core that supports 400hp
Evo9 valve springs and retainers, lifters, rocker arms
2g mas(switching to speed density ASAP)

Olson

Quoting JSchleim18:
Forgot about the cams...

Ha I love how you say forget about cams then throw those out there.
Never heard of the kel 258's know of anyone running those ??

If i bump compression it would be no more than 9:1 anything more than that you would have to run E85 all the time and as much as I would love to do that I dont think it would the best idea for me.

JSchleim18

No I meant I forgot to mention cams...

The 258/264 cams have a good lope for torque but has a high lift that's comparable to most 272 cams out there so you still get some good top end. I don't personally know of anyone running them but they're designed towards restrictor plate rally cars.

TX-258 Specs: click

TX-264 Specs: click

Last edited:

Quoting Olson:
Quoting JSchleim18:
Forgot about the cams...

Ha I love how you say forget about cams then throw those out there.
Never heard of the kel 258's know of anyone running those ??

If i bump compression it would be no more than 9:1 anything more than that you would have to run E85 all the time and as much as I would love to do that I dont think it would the best idea for me.

I run 9.5:1 with 20+ psi and no knock issues on 92 pump

Last edited by a moderator:

DynastyLCD

smitty.... how much timing do you see? and how much boost exactly are you running?

i would think 9.5:1 would knock crazy on pumpgas anything over 20 psi.

Im using a 2G timing map at the moment so 17* at max at 20psi. My boost gauge only goes to twenty and ive had it a couple **** hairs past 20 so i can only speculate 22-23 at the time. 11-11.3 afr's.

Im also running a 3052 with a big FMIC so my 20psi is different than a 16g 20psi.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedTwo

Fit a restrictor plate, water injection and give it to someone who builds rally cars? E85 will make more of a torque gain than anything else - look at the dyno shootout, the best 16g torque numbers are on E85 but they're all topping out around 340 torques (I can't remember what unit I'm using on my own list /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif)

4thStroke

I made 417ftlbs with the 16g on E. I even made 350ftlbs on 92oct.

A former English Racing employee made over 500ftlbs on E. A buddy of mine is also making over 400ftlbs.

A boost spike will help, but you need to be careful with the timing. If you have a way to control boost electronically, you may be able to get a decent spike. With ECMLink, it's really easy to produce a manageable spike.

3rdstrikedsm

A good friend of mine made 530 ft lbs at 46 psi on an evo9 turbo with e-85 and damn that car would flat out haul ass!!

This was a 10.5 comp 2.0 and since he builds and tunes rally cars for a living I trust what he says /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

He says the key to max tq like that is a small unported hotside of the turbo and high boost that is tuned well!

His evo would paint black marks from a 50 roll, The car was just killing 35r cars on race gas.

Last edited:

donniekak

Quoting 4thStroke:
I made 417ftlbs with the 16g on E. I even made 350ftlbs on 92oct.

A former English Racing employee made over 500ftlbs on E. A buddy of mine is also making over 400ftlbs.

A boost spike will help, but you need to be careful with the timing. If you have a way to control boost electronically, you may be able to get a decent spike. With ECMLink, it's really easy to produce a manageable spike.

Very careful with the timing. The evo3 can spike around 35 psi at a really low rpm. If you don't have a really good way to tune you end up with this.
IMG_20110312_200443.jpg

1990ggsxnj

That's ONE way to lower compression.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned