The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ECU repair?

quicktsi

I believe the ecu out of my newly acquired GVR4 is in need of some repair. It appears to have had the caps replaced. While out driving it today, it kept loosing power and I would have to stop the car and turn it off and let the ecu reset. I would then restart the car and drive about another 2-3 miles and then it would start acting up again. Below are the pictures. If you need more pictures let me know. Who on the board is still doing repairs and socketing?

[
IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

Last edited:

OMFGeofffff

Terry Posten fixed mine and did an excellent job. He has very good prices as well.

1990ggsxnj

I have to second that... Terry did a great job. Cannot comment on the workmanship of whoever did the mods prior but it looks like there are areas that are still in need of attention. As I understand it, though, that residue is normal as it is just a breakdown of the protective coating from the factory which is cleaned off to do the work.

quicktsi

I ended up sending it to ECM Tuning for repair. Terry offered to fix it, but could not fully test it like ECM can.

Terry Posten

ECM Tuning is who I recommend if the ECU has had previous work and is still acting up.

I can install a socket and change out the stock caps and make sure all the acid is off so more damage will not happen but if the unit is already acting up, it is best to send it to someone that can test and warranty it.

My price is a cheap "maintenance" price, not a total repair price.

Good luck.

quicktsi

ECM completed the repair and is shipping the ECU today. They also socketed it while they had it for repairs. Now I just need to finish my harness repair.

AnotherNewb

Quoting Terry Posten:
ECM Tuning is who I recommend if the ECU has had previous work and is still acting up.

I can install a socket and change out the stock caps and make sure all the acid is off so more damage will not happen but if the unit is already acting up, it is best to send it to someone that can test and warranty it.

My price is a cheap "maintenance" price, not a total repair price.

Good luck.

What a stand up guy. No really. Someone with less character would have taken his money rather than suggest going to someone more qualified.

Here ye, here ye. Terry Posten is one awesome mo-fo!!!!
You sir are awesome in my book. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts