The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Loose Rear

dpuddy

Driving earlier today and the car felt like I was losing a wheel, play in the steering wheel and a rhythmic noise from the rear end. Stopped and found my rear passengers side wheel was rubbing on my mudflap. Checked around and found nothing else. I had my friend watch the wheel as I drove and he saw it move several inches back under acceleration. Drove home and continued to hear rubbing.

Once home raised the rear end up to check for play, found nothing.

I have 4 wheel steering components but lines are blocked off.

Any ideas why my wheel is moving forward and back? Worn Control Arm bushing? 4 wheel steering?

Last edited:

Diego

What speed does it happen at?

While raised did you try moving the tires up and down left and right looking for a loosend piece? The only things I could think off the top of my head that makes the tire move out would be the 4ws and control arms.... are you sure the lines are fully disconnected?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
If it can move that far back, your trailing arm has to be broken or disconnected somehow. that is what determines the fore-aft position of the wheel hub.

JSchleim18

I agree with above. I think it could be the trailing arm bushing. There's no play in the wheel/tire itself? Like a wheel bearing?

donkeylips

We resolved this. When he had checked the wheel bearing before the parking brake was on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
It was just the loosest left rear wheel bearing I've ever seen...and he did 100mph+ on it the same day!

curtis

Trailing arm and or worn out subframe bushings.

AnotherNewb

If I was a mod your new title would be "loose rear" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts