The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

differences between cyclone manifolds?

Brunoboy

I have seen two different types of Cyclones, Whats the difference between:
jdm-90-94-cyclone-intake-manifold-dsm-eclipse-gsx-gst_320667722596.jpg

and

1991-mitsubishi-1g-dsm-intake-manifold-cyclone_270709710897.jpg

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Which title do you prefer?

Cyclone Turbo Intercooler
or
ECI Multi Turbo Intercooler

I picked the ECI model as no one would ever suspect it was anything fancy.
There is absolutely no difference between the manifolds. I'll wait for some more people to chime in,
but it is the AMG NA manifold and those turbo manifolds above, that are indeed the 2 different types.
There is only "one" turbo manifold, 2 different name plates were cast in and were available on different models.

Hope that helps your decision making process. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brunoboy

ok, i picked up the ECI one.I was just wondering since it looked different. or stamped different. Did you notice a difference in torque with your manifold?

curtis

Mine was on a an adjustable hobbs switch and yes I could tell a difference.

Do a search on here maybe in the How to's I posted a DIY activation deal built from junkyard parts. Total cost should be between free and 5 dollars

Brunoboy

I am going to use ecmlink v3, these are two piece intake manifolds correct? And gaskets can be made for it out of gasket maker?

Struc

JNZ just posted that they got some gasket kits back in stock.

kitcho

Newer JDM galants like mine have the ECI Multi lettering. Earlier JDM galants had the Cyclone lettering. As already mentioned, there's no functional difference.

According to Mitsubishi ASA, JDM VR-4s made from 1987 - July 1990 had the 'Cyclone' lettering. Subsequent VR-4s (August 1990 - March 1992) had the 'ECI Multi' lettering.

Last edited:

Brunoboy

thanks for the info, also yes i saw that jnz carries the gaskets, but I was wondering if it were possible to make a gasket? or is anyone using a home made gasket? I am strapped for cash at the moment and if i were able to make one great, if not, 60$ will have to wait a bit.

Struc

I don't see why you couldn't make them. I always keep a roll of gasket material in my garage myself.

DR1665

I, too, saw JNZ carries the gaskets. As much as I would like to support them (heard nothing but excellent things), I can't justify spending $60 on intake manifold gaskets. I'll be making my own.

beaner

Aside of the headgasket and exhaust manifold, I've made every single gasket in my engine including for the cyclone. No issues.

Brunoboy

What's the best gasket maker material? And how easy is it to make one? Whats everyone using as a vacuum canister?

dsm10o0

I got alot of sheets to make a gasket.

Brunoboy

Quoting brunoboy:
What's the best gasket maker material? And how easy is it to make one? Whats everyone using as a vacuum canister?

bump for answers, and btw, there are no ports for EGR and suck correct?

thedsmguy

Has anyone ran a cyclone without the valves? I've ran into a few that didn't have the actuators etc and always wondered what if you just gutted it and left it alone, would it act kinda like a large plenum intake or would it screw sh*t up?

Brunoboy

without the valves the intake manifold is pointless.

Brunoboy

Quoting brunoboy:
Quoting brunoboy:

bump for answers, and btw, there are no ports for EGR and suck correct?

anyone that can answer both of these questions for me?

Id just get the semi thickest gasket paper you can find, the secret is to take a socket thats kinda heavy, tape the paper to the manifold and then tap the edges of the runners and the outside of the manifold with the socket and it will make an impression and sometimes just make the cut for you. then take a razor blade and cut the rest out.. take your time. it works fine as long as you evenly tighten your manifold down. and use a little sealant on both sides for the water.

Brunoboy

theres no water in the IM? Can I copper spray it?

beaner

Do not use copper spray on the composite gasket. Just the gasket is fine so long as both surfaces are clean.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned