The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

having trouble Installing Oil Press Sender have Pics

Im installing a boost and oil Gauge i have the Car lifted up and every thing right now and im trying to install the oil sender but not quite sure were it goes exactly they sent me a pic on another post put mine looks a little different. is this the right place where im pointing at??

14u2nV

Take the old sensor out, and replace it with the new one.

img.php

ok i took it off and tried installing the one for the gauges and it wont go in ..will I be able to use the old sender for the gauges or will in not work??

14u2nV

Not sure on that one. You could try it and see. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

yea i just tried it and it didnt work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif so what would i have to do in order to make this oil sender work.

dsmtalontsi95

It depends on what voltage the gauge is looking for. I personaly wouldn't mount the sending unit directly to the motor, the vibrations will kill some sending units. When I was putting mine together last year I talked to extremepsi and put this together click Works well.

BluFalcon

What's circled in the picture is the factory oil idiot light switch on a stock GVR-4 oil filter housing. It's what switches the low oil pressure light on the dash when engine oil pressure drops below 4 psi or so. The oil filter housings that come on 91-94 DSM's are almost identical, except that they have an extra port available to mount a oil pressure sending unit in addition to the low oil pressure switch.

The thread pitch on most aftermarket oil pressure sending units is 1/8 NPT, while the factory hole is threaded for something very similar, but not exactly 1/8 NPT. You can screw the sending unit in and force it in until it stops leaking, but I would not recommend it. I've ran a 1/8 NPT tap into the sensor hole on the oil filter housing with it on the engine, but I also wouldn't recommend doing that. If I were going to do it the "right" way, I'd pull the oil filter housing off the engine, tap the hole for the right thread pitch, and re install after carefully cleaning out any debris that might have been created while tapping the thread. The hole is a pipe fitting, so it's going to get tighter as you thread the sensor into the hole, however don't get too crazy as you can crack the housing.

grocery_getter

American 1/8" NPT have 27 thread per inch.

Japanese 1/8" pipe thread is 28 thread per inch.

That's why it wont go in smooth. You can re-tap it with a 1/8" NPT tap so it will work properly. Becareful when you are tapping the hole, it is after the oil filter, so whatever debris you created and not cleaned out will go straight to your main bearing.

And like Ed said above, it is a tapered hole and fitting, it gets tighter the deeper you go. Becareful how much torque you put on it, it cracks very easy.

Last edited:

BluFalcon

Quote:
it gets tighter the deeper you go.

So To Speak... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just got done installing My Gauges and they work Great Except for the boost gauge somtimes it take a minute or so then kicks in not sure what it is yet but im messing with it Thursday.. the day light Pic is when the car is idling does it seem accurate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

turbowop

Yes, 18-19in/hg is normal at idle.

Did you wrap duct tape around the pillar to install the gaugepod? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif And I can see wires at the bottom. Do you plan on cleaning that up?

yea I used Duck Tape /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif But this is for mean While i need to go to the junk Yard and find another pillar or what ever its call the dam thing was so old and dry it would crack before i could drill a hole through it Seriously

1990ggsxnj

It sounds like you're running your boost off of the FPS if it takes a minute to kick in. This is the ECU taking a minute to open the Solenoid. You might want to run it directly off of the manifold if that is the case.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts