The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Understatement: My rear diff is leaking, inputs needed.

citymunky

So while drive to work yesterday when I notice a high pitch whine sound coming from the car. It would get higher in the pitch with more speed. I know right away it was a drive train problem. During lunch I when to the hobby shop and checked my transmission and transfer-case fluid level and they were both good. I checked my rear diff which was covered in oil BTW. What do you know it was almost empty. I drained and re-filled with Redline that I had in the trunk, the day is saved.

Or so I thought, on the way to pick up my kids after work in rush hour traffic I notice a burned oil smell and a little bit of smoke coming from the rear. I when to a friends house close by to pick up some tools. While my car parked in the street we noticed a lake under my rear diff. I jacked the car to find out what the hell is going on, I start feeling around and I found a hole big enough to fit two of my fingers inside. WTF!!! Why are my fingers touching the gears inside my diff? After a quick search I found this picture:
img.php

A part of the 4WS system use to call that hole home. My question is beside removing the diff housing and replacing it with another one, has anybody found a good way to cover or plug that hole? Does anybody know the diameter of that hole? My DD is down until I fix this issue, and don't time to fix this weekend (work), and by the time I get home during the work week it is 6PM, and with kids I once again have no time to replace the diff. Inputs welcome.

14u2nV

I have a freeze plug that seems to fit the hole pretty snug. I just tried it on the one sitting on my shelf. I think I've heard that's what others have used.

CutlassJim

Maybe someone just put a freeze plus in there last time and it popped out. Throw some RTV on it this time. If you want to drop it just undo the 4 bolts shown plus the mustache brace and it falls down. You don't even need to disconnect the axles or driveshaft.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts