The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Knock at start up?

Just like the title says, when I first start my car it has a noticeable knock sound until it warms up then I don't hear it. My car go through oil kinda bad. I just ordered an oil cap, I also know the seals on the turbo are no good. The car does not smoke or leak oil, but I will have to add a quart almost every other week. Any ideas?

It has 3g lifters, and it's a knock not a tick. I'm just wondering why it goes away when it warms up?

AnotherNewb

Almost sounds like a wrist pin. Once the aluminum in the piston warms up it expands and takes up the play.

AnotherNewb

Try this... on a cold start when it knocks, try pulling plug wires one by one until the knock disappears. Narrows it down to the cylinder with the knock.

PreskitVR4

^^^^^^BTW, if it goes away it's prob a rod bearing issue; although I've never heard of that going away afta warmup.

AnotherNewb

Which is why I suggested a wrist pin. Aluminum expands more than steel or iron will at a lower temp.

Olson

Quoting PreskitVR4:
^^^^^^BTW, if it goes away it's prob a rod bearing issue; although I've never heard of that going away afta warmup.

Happened to me, now I'm rebuilding a motor with a spun bearing

galant344

what kind of pistons are in the car? could be wrist pin noise but i thought that doesn't go away when the engine is warm either? I know piston slap can go away when the engine warms up.

I was listening to my car at start up and noticed the sound seems to be in the back of the motor where the balance shafts are. Is it possible for a balance shaft to make a knocking sound?

AnotherNewb

Yes it is. I have a 6bolt motor in a talon right now that has a balance shaft knock, only when I got it it was really bad. Kinda laborous but you can pull the timing belt and connect a drill to the oil pump pulley, that's how I found mine.

Balance shaft will do that to you. I rebuild 2 bottom ends last season for what they thought was a rod knock. It was a spun bearing at the rear balance shaft that the bearing fell into the oil pan. pull the pan and front over off, and double check. A great time for a BSE kit.

Ehhh, I pulled the plug wire out of cylinder #4 and the knock stopped. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif That's no good...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts