The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Thermostat Question

dmj

My car runs pretty hot in the Florida Heat 220 degrees and above with the factory 195 degree thermostat. I know a 180 degree would help, but would it cause the car to run a little richer and is there any known negative side effects?

KiNgMaRtY

I was running a 160 in 611 and was still getting the same MPG as I was before I swapped out the thermostat. Believe I was getting 20mpg. I installed one in 802 as well

speedyvr4

i have a 180 deegree in mine, and didn't notice a difference in mpg either. with this florida heat coming up, if your gonna be beating up on it, a 170 deegree thermostat might not be a bad idea.

turbowop

As long as the ECU sees coolant temps over ~180F, it won't hurt gas mileage. All it knows is coolant temps, not what thermostat is installed, so if you install a 180F unit and your temps stay above that due to high ambient temps, you'll be fine.

Last edited:

4thStroke

I seem to be doing ok with a 160 in mine. I use the coolant offset on ECMLink set at 30, so once it reaches 160, the ECU thinks it's at 190. Fuel trims adjust accordingly and mileage in the low 20s in town is common.

Adorsey

I had a 180* in mine, with a 3/16" hole drilled in it. It took longer to warm up, and always ran in the 163~175* range, never saw coolent temps over 186* unless I was beating on it.

Also had the stock boost gauge for a coolent temp indicator, the first bar was at 186* and it was bearly ever on.
CEL was set for 204* so it would give me a heads up if it was getting too hot.via ecmlink.

belize1334

You have to get to 180*F in order to run in closed loop. BUT... you have to reach 190*F in order for the ecu go into learning mode and update the fuel trims. So, I wouldn't want a car to run colder than 195*F when fully warm or you risky having trims that are just pegged on a particular value...

bmxkid415

I'm running a 180, I haven't had an issue. I'm running 2 10 inch slim fans as pullers with the factory AC fan as a pusher.

Thats in the FL heat with AC nice and cold /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned