The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Turbo identification and goal

vtecds1

Bare with me fellas as I have no clue how to read a compressor map. But if you guys are willing to explain, I`m willing to learn.

I finally got the time to pull off the compressor housing on my Turbonetics turbo. What I got so far from doing a little research, I would guess it's a TO4E 60 trim.

My quest is to try and get as much power as I can on pump(93) without the risk of doing any damage to the motor. As of now, I don't know if my injectors will be enough. Can anyone tell me at what boost does this turbo come alive?
My current mods are:

Eagle rods
Ross 8.3 pistons
FRH "mild street" ported head
FRH IM
FMIC
2g mas
Delphi 680 inj
SAFC2
Walbro 255ho
Fuel lab AFPR
data logger
AEM wideband

Tuning will be done by someone other than me...I`m going to definitely take some notes. Also, I will be purchasing a set of cams within a couple of weeks. I`m just having a hard time deciding which ones to get.

Last edited:

broxma

The turbo is roughly a mid sized GT30 by the measurement of the wheel. The 76mm exducer size is standard for most(If not all, I'll have to check) GT30 frame turbo's. That being said, your injectors are only good up to about 375 Flywheel HP at 85% IDC at base pressure, translating to maybe 275-300 on the ground, at probably somewhere between 10-12 PSI.

With a built bottom end as such, I'd pony up for some FIC 1050's or bigger if you wanna run E-85 and kick up the pressure to about 20-25 which would be totally safe IMO.

/brox

vtecds1

I was looking into getting bigger injectors, but I've been hearing problems people are having to get the car to idle right. So that was the only thing deterring me into going any bigger. But at this point...If that is the only route to go to get the potential out of this turbo, I guess I will have to make that leap. Also, This is the compressor map I dug up from Turbonetics site.

img.php

I was doing some reading online on understanding the map, but It's still a little confusing. Care to explain? From what I understand, the big island in the middle is the turbos efficiency range. So is it safe to say that the turbo's efficiency range is between 22-37psi? Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Thanks...

Last edited:

broxma

Roughly, yes. The best way to view a compressor map is like the sweet spot on a baseball bat. But compressor maps really just compare one turbo to the next and give a general idea of what it is capable of. Running a turbo outside it's efficiency limit is pretty much something we have been doing from the beginning.

/brox

mitsuturbo

That compressor wheel looks like it measures out almost exactly like my gt3076r. My compressor is 59.83mm on the inducer, and 76mm exducer. Mine, however... has seven blades, not six.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned