The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

transmission and transfer case fluid

Brunoboy

I made a thread way back when about fluids, what is everyone running in their tranny and transfer? i know someone used to mix redline mt90 and the shock proof or something. So whats up? I am getting a new tranny soon from a local and I dont wanna mess it up. lol
-Shane

Barnes

Have you tried searching?

Tre3zy

^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif ive been trying to tell him that for years...

anyways i use a mix of MTL and MT-90 for trans and HEAVY DUTY SHOCKPROOF for Tcase

Tre3zy

^ is that for both tcase and trans? mmmm maybe ima try that....

1qkfwd

I run straight MT90 in the trans and shockproof in the tcase. No need to mix unless your making alot of torque.

PreskitVR4

^^^^ he said what i was gonna said. many years of abuse happend in my Talon with this combo. To clarify, redline shockproof RED, not blue. blue is lightweight, not as good in my experience. good for the rear diff tooo.

turbowop

Quoting Tre3zy:
^ is that for both tcase and trans? mmmm maybe ima try that....

Pretty sure you could, but it's expensive. I run shockproof in the xfer case and rear end instead.

Brunoboy

Quoting Barnes:
Have you tried searching?

Nah waste of time lol, jk but seriously I don't remember What the title of y thread was because it had nothing to do with fluid, it just happened to go there.

turbowop

Quoting 4thStroke:
At the rate I pull my tranny, I refuse to run NEO RHD anymore. I feel bad about reusing tranny fluid.

Unless I have some internal tranny catastrophe, I have no problem reusing the stuff. Too expensive not to, IMO. I just make sure to drain it into a clean container.

4thStroke

I agree with you, Mark.

It's just that I could have a catastrophic failure at any given time, and there's a good chunk of money in tranny fluid down the drain (again).

Barnes

But you have to ask the question; would that tranny fluid help prevent said catastrophic failure?

turbowop

Yes. But at some point, the best fluid in the world won't keep the power our modified engines produce (some of us a crapload) from blowing the teeth off our gearsets, amirite?

Last edited:

1qkfwd

You be surprised on how much torque it take to pure strip teeth off a properly preloaded gearset. Our trans it's the 4th and it will straight shred teeth.

Barnes

Quoting turbowop:
Yes. But at some point, the best fluid in the world won't keep the power our modified engines produce (some of us a crapload) from blowing the teeth off our gearsets, amirite?

Perhaps Spencer is beyond this threshold?

4thStroke

I was running the NEO RHD cocktail that English likes when I shredded a fresh 5 speed. The car made 557whp, 455ftlbs on the dyno and it was turned down a couple pounds for street duty. I won't lie, I beat on that tranny, it lasted 6,000 miles or so. I ripped 3rd apart, which then took out the rest of the tranny.

The car is back on pump gas, making 440whp/335ftlbs, so it's a lot safer, but I'm still a bit worried about the longevity if I decide to take it to the track.

I run MT90 now. It's easy to get and is a bit cheaper than NEO. I don't think MTL, MT90, NEO, or anything in the correct weight will save a tranny. It would be such a thin line being toyed with, it'd only be a matter of time until the gearset is fatigued and lets go. Synchromesh won't offer the protection, and heavyweight can send paraffin into the oil ports and may have adverse affects on shifting, although I never did try something this heavy in my tranny. I don't think even the heaviest oil will be the saving grace.

I dunno, some people can get away with abusing an old stock transmission for years, where others are breaking HD gearsets in no time.

Brunoboy

Quoting 1qkfwd:
You be surprised on how much torque it take to pure strip teeth off a properly preloaded gearset. Our trans it's the 4th and it will straight shred teeth.

my tranny is currently stuck in 4th. and wont shift out of it.....

turbowop

You probably broke a shift fork then, which has more to do with human power and nothing to do with horsepower. Did you slam it into gear or force it too hard a few times?

Brunoboy

maybe... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts