The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

6765 or GT42

dsmtalontsi95

This is for my 2g race car and I'm not sure wich one to go with. I was going to go with a shearer t4 divided front facing manifold with a 6765. I called shearer and they told me that the V band manifold with a GT42 would make more power with 100 rpm more lag compared to the 6765 setup I was asking them about. Also he told me the GT42 is going to be more durable. I for one haven't herd these turbos compared to each other. So what are you thoughts on these turbos? The car is a 2.3 stroker so I'm not looking to rev to the moon. 8K is probably the highest I'll go. Also more then likely I'll be on E85. The goal is low 10's High 9's.

1qkfwd

You wont have any issues hiting those times with either turbo. Precision is nice but garrett is wasy more durable. Its center section is one of the best out there. They have held some of the most demanding conditions. If you go DBB then its gonna rely on how well you take care of the turbo that determines how it lasts. If all your looking at is 10-9s then its really up to cost at that point.

dsmtalontsi95

I wasn't lookin at bb but I guess it's preffernce at this point

1qkfwd

Precision turbos are good and have broken some records. I just have heard of the garrett stuff lasting longer. The 42R included its dam near bullet proof. The turbine wheels can sure take a beating from excess exhaust temps to. I guess you can narrow it down to performance over reliablity.

DynastyLCD

wouldnt comparing a 42r to a 6765 be like comparing a 42r to a 37r?

check out the FP 3794 HTA. ive been considering a race car build and my ideas always seem to come back to that turbo.

This is a racecar, so lag isn't an issue for you but being a 2.3L you have to take that into consideration. Is it a manual or auto trans? Will you be spraying it or not? I say listen to the guys that have seen these combos & how they perform. There's a nice GT40R with a 42R chra for sale on this forum from a very reputable seller. I'd grab that & call it done.

GT40R with a 42R wheel

curtis

^ I'm with him on this one. The one Dan is selling is a badboy. Something else not listed is an extended tip schwitzer/borg warner/airwerks turbo....Yea I know everyone calls them something different but a s372 to s380 will get it done for you. Or if you want to go silly get the s475 which are a larger frame but would support up towards if not over 4 digits of power if you got the parts that will live.

Example.... of a 3 series. click me .

dsmtalontsi95

Quoting Garfield Wright:
This is a racecar, so lag isn't an issue for you but being a 2.3L you have to take that into consideration. Is it a manual or auto trans? Will you be spraying it or not? I say listen to the guys that have seen these combos & how they perform. There's a nice GT40R with a 42R chra for sale on this forum from a very reputable seller. I'd grab that & call it done.

GT40R with a 42R wheel

It's a 5 speed stg 4 shep trans. No spray in the near future. I still need to rip it apart to get a cage put in soon. I wanted to hear if you have any suggestions either between these two or vband manifolds what brand waste gate for the best responce. What ever you think will help get us to 9.9.

onesickcrx

Twinscroll T4 manifold with a twinscroll 40R or 3794R

3794R is plenty and quicker spooling

1qkfwd

A pte 6262 or a hta3586 will get you a 9.9. Just keep in mind that if you plan on driving this everyday pick something that is on the smaller side of what will net you those times. To much lag in a street car is no fun. You might want to look into turbos that will support 550-600hp marker. With the right tune and enough seat time you can have lots of fun and still net your times. I say this because running my 4088R on the street is right at the edge of having to much lag on the streets. There are many people that have ran this turbo and then a Gt4202 and said spool time is about the same. And I was seeing 30lbs in the low 6000rpm areas.

dsmtalontsi95

^Thats the info I'm looking for. I looked at the 6262 and that would be pushing it to the limits. I'm not a pro driver so 1.5's will probably be my fastest 60' so I'm looking more towards top end turbo's to make up for my foot work. I personaly would like to hit low, low 10's with the car and go even faster as I get better with the car.

dsmtalontsi95

Is there some way to calculate what size wastegate is needed for a certain set up? If I go with the V-Band setup I would only have one where the twin scroll would have 2. I'm just looking for what size to get.

GVR-4

Large wastegates are for low boost levels. I would also recommend staying away from a ball bearing CHRA since this is a drag car.

1qkfwd

If your gonna go with a 42R sized turbo and no nos you would benifit from running a twinscroll setup. A ball bearing center on a drag car will help with between gear recovery. It will also help get that thing spoole dup faster on the 2-step syou your not waiting forever and getting the exhaust wheel to hot. So its not completely a bad idea on drag car. I can show you some logs where between gears if the turbo wasnt ball bearing it would of have taken longer for the turbo to pick itself up. If you plan on using nos then dont even think about the ball bearing option.

mitsuturbo

Not to be a buzzkill, and low 10s is an excellent goal.. but have you run low 11's yet? Low 12's? (please answer these two questions before continuing for the sake of the forum)

Nitrous is never a "bad" idea. It adds horsepower, and can be done safely. Even as little as a 75 wet shot could help IMMENSELY at lower RPM and launch. I can also say that having run a BB turbo... i'm never going back to a JB turbo. Going from a JB60-1 or a e316g to a GT3076r (with no other mods) was the most awesome thing my car ever did!

Last edited:

dsmtalontsi95

Ha Ha. Yea, I was running mid-low 11's last year. I was told I was the (un officially) the fastest car with an HX-35 with the bolt on housing running on pump. It was a car that was mainly for the track but wanted to be able to ride around town on the weekends if I wanted to. My goal has changed. We are starting to gut the car for the cage here in the next couple of weeks. I'm going to be doing the safety stuff first then the fuel setup before I swap the turbo setup. Even if it takes a while to get everything straighten out on which way to go, I would have to have this stuff done anyway (cage, drive shaft loop, seat, harnesses...).

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts