The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How much vacuum

When I bought 173 I was told there were kelford 264 cams in the car I'm pull in around 15-18 in of vac does this seem to high for thoses cams? Any help would be appreciated

turbowop

Stock is around 18in/hg @ sea level. It gets lower as you climb in elevation. I've also seen variations of a few in/hg up or down on differing brands of gauges, so I don't worry too much about how much vacuum I'm pulling unless there is some huge change from what I normally see.

Are you just wanting to confirm that it has said cams? Perhaps you could pull the valve cover and see?

Last edited:

Well I will be changing the head gasket soon I was just curious so to If I definately have cams
Just by looking at the vaccum also it was on an auto meter boost gauge
And idle at 1k it was pulling about 16 or 17 inches so what do u think yes or no ?
I hate guessing but i want to have an idea on what to think if there is still a possiblity

JNR

Slightly higher idle will bring the vacuum up slightly, also, as well as timing.

I don't know the specs on your cam, but iirc with my HKS 264's, I'd get 16-17", but I'm close to sea level (you probably are too), fwiw, and I want to say my idle is *slightly* higher than stock. Rather than trusting a boost gauge, use a diagnostic vacuum gauge instead, as it's more accurate; if you're that concerned. More important that strictly the reading is how does it behave; as in is it steady, or does it dip and go back up, dip, repeat, etc...

here's a good diagram

Last edited:

to garfield im planning to pull it im the next few weeks but im just trying to guess yes of no right now lol
and to jnr im right by long island sound in ny so im pretty close to sea level but i guess im just going to have to wait
and garfield btw its dustin from ny

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned