The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Having Vr4 Problems

I recently just bought a 1991 GVR4. It ran just fine picked up great. The car is stock. I had took it to work which is 160 miles away two different occasions. And last week I was headed there and got 30 miles outside of town and the thing just all of the sudden lost power and started chugging. I can ease on to the throttle and it will go but as soon as you give it gas it dies. It starts just fine. Idles okay after warmed up but you cant drive it around. Someone told me boost leak. And another told me to gut my catalytic converter. Im jsut lost one what to do. I had to leave the car at home and my mom drove it for me and she said the check engine light started coming on and she said its getting worst. PLease help!!!

CutlassJim

If the check engine light is on try reading the code. Almost sounds like your ECU is on its way out though.

I too think you have a boost leak issue, or at least that's where I would start. It sounds like one of your hoses may have come off. This site has all kins of good information about doing a boost leak test. If you can't find it let me know and I will try to point you in the right direction. You will need to make a test.
-Kevin

The check engine light dont just stay on. Just comes on randomly. Im not sure whats up with it. Next weekend I got a friend that is going to help me with the test for I have to go to work for the week. I just need to replace everything. Like EVERYTHING haha

thedsmguy

Check the easy crap like intercooler hoses but be sure to not dismiss the idea that your ecu is going bad. Its on the pass side just in front of the door by the glovebox. Kinda a pita to get to but if you can pull it and look for acid damage from leaking capacitors on the board you will be able to see if its your problem for sure if there is lot of damage take pictures and post them here. If its perfectly clean then start looking elsewhere for issues. If you have a friend in the area that has a 91-94 turbo car you can swap ecus for a short while to see if it fixes your problems.

Good luck.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned