The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Idle Surge help

I just bought a working ISC motor, installed it and ran into trouble. I put it in, the o ring is perfectly fine and sealed, did everything correctly and checked the ohms on the new isc motor to make sure not to foul the ecu. I put it in and started the car and it idled extremely high and still had a little bit of surge. How do i correct this? Please help!

1990ggsxnj

Honestly I have never had any car idle better than after the FIAV blockoff. That thing is HORRIBLE on most Galant/1g's I've seen past 100k. But you definitely want to do the basics first. FIAV is number 7 in the list /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

Quoting 1990ggsxnj:
Honestly I have never had any car idle better than after the FIAV blockoff. That thing is HORRIBLE on most Galant/1g's I've seen past 100k. But you definitely want to do the basics first. FIAV is number 7 in the list

I still have mine, and my car idles like a dream. I can have the AC blasting ice cold on a 90 degree day stopped and still idling at a perfect 750 rpms.

When I first got my car I had some trouble with the idle, but it was just the throttle plate would not shut all the way.

1990ggsxnj

Quoting Red_Bird:
I still have mine, and my car idles like a dream. I can have the AC blasting ice cold on a 90 degree day stopped and still idling at a perfect 750 rpms.

When I first got my car I had some trouble with the idle, but it was just the throttle plate would not shut all the way.

Your luck has been better than mine thankfully. I DID notice that the surge always stopped with the A/C on so that does not surprise me.

Last edited:

adamvr4

ok, i had an idle surge problem for a couple years until last October. Sometimes it would surge, other times it would be fine. Check your wires by your temperature sensor. I found out that the wires that went to the temperature sensor were corroded and sometimes it will have a good connection and idle fine and when it didnt get good connection it would idle surge, so check the wires.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned