The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Gear Ratios - Doing 65mph at 3k

alansupra94

Is there anyway around this? I kinda would like to cruise at 64 below 3k. Anyone have any kind of options or ideas? I am pretty sure I can't do much but might as well ask.

dmj

EVO 3 fifth gear is what you need I believe it is 11% taller and should lower your rpm's at highway speeds.

alansupra94

Where would I find this? Is there a thread somewhere regarding compatibility between the EVO3 transmission and the VR4?

2of9

IIRC, 62mph is 28xx revs. And yep, taller 5th gear should definitely help

alansupra94

I mean its not TERRIBLE but an upgrade wouldn't be a bad idea. The transmission was rebuilt around 500miles ago by Turbotrix. I guess I will wait for a nice built transmission to pop up for cheap.

Anyone got any other ideas? I have read a few people swapping gears but how compatible are they? Is there a thread I can educate myself about this?

cheekychimp

Can't remember any threads exactly but if you PM me and leave your email Alan I can send you a couple of Excel files that will lay out some different options and allow you to calculate speeds at certain RPMs for certain combinations.

For a reference if you were to swap your Galant 3.866 secondary for a 2G 3.55 secondary drive, then at 3000 rpm in 5th you would be doing 68 mph instead of 62 mph. If you want more work and are willing to look for the parts, get yourself a set of Evo III gears and run them with your Galant Primary and a Galant GSX 3.1 secondary (you will need the GGSX rear ring and pinion for the rear end) and you will be looking at closer to 85 mph in 5th at 3000 rpm, possibly more since the Evo III 5th is a bit taller! My figures are for Evo/RS Gears but those are weaker than the Evo III gears and not as easily available for you (and the ratios are damn near identical anyway so I wouldn't even bother looking for those).

You can get gear sets from most of the big transmission places (TRE, Jacks, Shep etc) and most of them will build you a cluster with double synchros etc which you can install yourself.

I'm just looking at that Excel file again and it appears that if you just use the Evo/RS GVR4 gearset in your stock Galant transmission (again gear ratios for the Evo III will be almost identical with a slightly taller 5th gear) you would hit 67.5 mph at 3000 rpms. This method would be a lot easier and should get you the gains you want. 1st and 2nd would also be taller but 3rd and 4th slightly shorter.

Paul.

alansupra94

Quote:
For a reference if you were to swap your Galant 3.866 secondary for a 2G 3.55 secondary drive, then at 3000 rpm in 5th you would be doing 68 mph instead of 62 mph. If you want more work and are willing to look for the parts, get yourself a set of Evo III gears and run them with your Galant Primary and a Galant GSX 3.1 secondary (you will need the GGSX rear ring and pinion for the rear end) and you will be looking at closer to 85 mph in 5th at 3000 rpm, possibly more since the Evo III 5th is a bit taller! My figures are for Evo/RS Gears but those are weaker than the Evo III gears and not as easily available for you (and the ratios are damn near identical anyway so I wouldn't even bother looking for those).

This just confused the sh*t out of me. What do you mean by secondary drive? Do you mean the rear end? Keep in mind I am a noob with the terminology.

OMFGeofffff

I remember someone on here(Myles maybe?) that had a pic of them doing 70mph at like 2500 rpm. For some reason ggsx 5th gear comes to mind. Don't quote me though just something to think about.

cheekychimp

Quoting alansupra94:

This just confused the sh*t out of me. What do you mean by secondary drive? Do you mean the rear end? Keep in mind I am a noob with the terminology.

Sorry mate what I wrote is misleading. The rear ring and pinion is something different. If you change the ratio going through the transfer case you also need to use the matching ring and pinion at the rear of the vehicle to match the ratios.

I shouldn't say drive, it is misleading. It is a Secondary Ratio.

alansupra94

Now I am really lost. I am use to cars that have simple transmissions I guess. I am use to having a transmission and a fixed rear end. I will try and read more into this so I understand what you are saying.

So does primary = transmission, secondary = transfer case and ring and pinion = rear end? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

gtluke

how far are you driving your galant that the .25mpg is going to matter? I swapped mine out so I do about 3800rpm at 65mph, makes the car faster. I'm willing to spend money to go faster and this is an easy way.

thecman02

faster or quicker /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ?

I got the longer 5th gear. It makes a much bigger difference then .25mpg at least in my case it did. I've gained 3-4mpg highway. 80mph is around 3500 which is much better then 4000rpm for 80. 70mph is roughly 3k.

alansupra94

^^^^

Wasn't really for the gas options. I was just mainly seeing what options were out there. I probably will not be doing anything since the transmission has been rebuilt and shifts like butter. I was just tempted to step the power levels to around 400hp-500hp and have heard that the transmission might sh*t out at that point.

Quoting thecman02:
faster or quicker /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ?

I got the longer 5th gear. It makes a much bigger difference then .25mpg at least in my case it did. I've gained 3-4mpg highway. 80mph is around 3500 which is much better then 4000rpm for 80. 70mph is roughly 3k.

What did you use for your taller 5th gear? I would LOVE travel 80mph @ 3500rpm along with netting another 3-4mpg. I commute 100mi a day usually traveling between 75-85mph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

thanks in advance!
Anthony

alansupra94

All these NJ people coming out the wood work now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I am still a bit confused on what primary and secondary gears mean PHYSICALLY.

Struc

Each gear in your transmission has a gear ratio. Besides that, you have a secondary ratio that all of those gears get put to the ground through, which is the ratio of your rear differential.

Keep in mind, though, that you're driving the front wheels too, so your secondary gear ratio needs to be changed in the front as well as the back, so they are the same.

So, if you're looking to change the secondary gear ratio by swapping out the rear differential, you also have to open up the tranny and change that (front) differential as well.

Hopefully that makes it clearer.

EDIT: Go to the VFAQ and in the Drivetrain section under the Manual Transmission heading there is a "GEAR RATIOS" VFAQ that might help you visualize it.

EDIT2: TRE used to sell 10%, 15% and 25% taller 5th gear replacements. I can't seem to find any of them on their website anymore though. No idea which application they came out of, though.

Last edited:

alansupra94

^^^^^

OMG I love you. That makes so much more sense now. So if I were to change the rear end, I would have to change the front end too. What was really confusing is that on the spreadsheet, it showed that 2G rear end has a different ratio than the 1G. Is that true? If so then how am I running a 4 bolt rear end?

Thanks,
Alan

Struc

#1: You are running a 1G AWD 4-bolt rear
#2: You're probably looking at the Automatic transmission rear ratio, not M/T.

alansupra94

Okay that makes more sense.

click

According to this, the diameter of the stock Galant VR4 is 24.21 but in the program, it is logged as 23. Is that correct? I forgot that my tire and wheel is rather large. Although my speedometer says I am doing 65, apparently I am doing 71 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Also where does the center diff fall under in this? What would its name be?

Last edited:

I contacted Jacks Transmissions. They sell an EVO3 5th gear-set for $221. They say it can be installed w/o modification to AWD and FWD 92-99 transmissions. Any more info on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Anthony

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts