The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

auto swap

gaylantvr4

I am helping a friend do a auto swap in his vr4 and what roll stop (front and rear) motor mounts do i need? can i use the ones off a 1gawd or a galant auto fwd?

thedsmguy

I once had a n/t 4g63 sohc auto galant and it didn't have a front roll stop so I'd guess you would be using the vr4 ones.

(on 2nd thought maybe it was the back roll stop it didn't have, but it was missing one of them which was weird.

Good luck!
I almost did this swap and might still someday.

gaylantvr4

from looking a asa the rear 1g and vr4 share the same part number so i believe it would use a 1g auto mount. the front is the only one in question now

GVR-4

I saw somewhere when searching that the auto and manual mounts are different and that the autos position the engine further forward. I'll try to find the website later and post it here.

misterfixit

NO.

The auto mounts are a rubber bar across the mount from each side of the spacer. The manual trans has a full circular web (same all the way round.)

Rich

misterfixit

ALL from the factory should have 2 roll stopper mounts. 4wd and 2wd.

Rich

Quoting thedsmguy:
I once had a n/t 4g63 sohc auto galant and it didn't have a front roll stop so I'd guess you would be using the vr4 ones.

(on 2nd thought maybe it was the back roll stop it didn't have, but it was missing one of them which was weird.

Good luck!
I almost did this swap and might still someday.

Jazzyjay

I just looked a my race car and my Galant and thought of doing this just today. Can you post parts needed to make this happen.

Boost4U

I'm doing mine right now, I used the 5 speed starter and flex plate, I used all of the 5 speed motor mounts from a 1g AWD with the exception of the trans mount. This is the way I ran it in my 1g when I swapped it. As far as the mounts on the block, the only one you need to worry about is the front (344) all the rest are the same. I am using a stock 1g shifter. I put a shim in the pivot point of the shifter to take the side to side play out of it. I'm also using the stock 1g shift cables run in the same place as the 5 speed cables and Kiggly shifter mod. It's a pretty straight forward swap especially if you have a complete parts car to move parts over from. Now the only thing I need to find is a brake pedal assembly. the shell I got didn't have any in it. What year pedal assemblies will fit in a VR4? I want the single brake pedal and no clutch just to complete the look of an auto. Here is the car with the motor bolted in, you can't see too many details but it gives you the idea that it does sit in the bay correctly.
38f80f56.jpg

c48b8990.jpg

I know for a fact that e33a and e35a cam side, rearward and front mounts are the same but the trans mount both on the trans and chassis are different. I just found that out two days ago the hard way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Someone mentioned the rubber mounts on the auto don't have a web all the way around (true) but on the manual car I got my trans mount from it was the same as the auto. I'm betting you would only need the trans mount, even if the rubber is of a different design it would atleast suffice.

Just my two noob cents /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Boost4U

Yup the only mount that is any different is the trans mount. I can take a picture of mine tomorrow if anybody needs to know what it looks like.

Boost4U

Quote:
how did you wire in the tcu?

Right now I'm running the kiggly mod. It works very well you just have to make sure the shifter is adjusted and working properly. It's pretty easy just google search kiggly shifter mod. You'll know it when you see it. After I wire in my tcu I'll do a write up on it.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quote:
After I wire in my tcu I'll do a write up on it.

Please do this, like to see more tech/how-to's on the board! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Also, be sure to check the capacitors on that tcu board. They have the same craptastic caps they put in the ecu's but many of them didn;t get the same love the ecu's have, so their boards are damaged beyond repair ... only the folks running them don;t know it yet.

Boost4U

Please do this, like to see more tech/how-to's on the board!

Also, be sure to check the capacitors on that tcu board. They have the same craptastic caps they put in the ecu's but many of them didn;t get the same love the ecu's have, so their boards are damaged beyond repair ... only the folks running them don;t know it yet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The TCU is good, I just had it socketed and a harness built for me. should be ready to rock and roll. It's going to be sweet to just put it in drive...

Boost4U

Bringing this back to the top, is there anybody here who has completed an auto swap in a vr4. If so what shifter are you running. I want a stock look if possible. Mine is really close to being done. All the hard work is done just need to tie up loose ends like the shifter. I guess worst case I'll use a ratchet shifter. There has to be at least a few that have been done.

Just use a standard Galant GS auto shifter and the rubber ring and you can keep your standard console, also the overdrive switch if your using it that replaces one of the coin holders. Have you manualised the auto? or is it just stock?

Boost4U

I did the kiggly mod but will be adding a tcu in the near future. Thanks for the advise on the shifter. The dsm shifter is too tall.

Boost4U

Bringing this back up again, my swap is complete, drove it down the road a bit and realized my speedometer isn't working. Is there anybody else who has completed theirs that cares to chime in. Not sure what the problem is and was hoping someone knew a fix. Also does anybody know which wires on the trans are for backup lights?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned