The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Methanol as a primary fuel

thedsmguy

PITA. I believe strait methanol would eat through your fuel lines and aluminum surfaces if allowed to sit for extended periods of time.

turbowop

I use straight methanol as a supplement over 92 octane pump gas. I inject it using an Alkycontrol pump through teflon coated lines sprayed through an M10 nozzle in the upper intercooler pipe a few inches before the throttle body. It's held in a foam filled three gallon reservoir in the trunk. It interfaces with my Maftpro setup for control.

Works well as I have it setup in my street car. I wouldn't think of using it on its own though, unless it were for a track only car.

primarily race. Im just exploring options to fuel due to c16 being $75-$85 for 5 gallons. As well as c16 being leaded and chewing through o2 sensors/widebands.

Sounds like using meth as an injection works well, im just trying to use one fuel....just for simplicity sake. although it sounds like a good setup you've got

Last edited by a moderator:

You'll need a massive fuel system to make big power with methanol. Stoichiometric AFR is 6.4:1.

I think ethanol (e98) is the best replacement for race gas in a race car. It's cheaper, doesn't require as much fuel system as methanol (9:1 stoich AFR), is less corrosive than meth, and, from what I've read, makes more power than race gas.

Edit: Here's a link with some info on using alcohol as a primary fuel. Methanol

Last edited by a moderator:

onesickcrx

Well I think for you it comes down to what's available... is E85 or E98 in Hawaii?

Thanks for the info BKatter, as far as whats available the car is actually in upstate NY. I'm in the military and have about a year and a half left. Once I get out I'll be going back to NY, and who knows from there. I'm not too sure what kind of fuel they have, I haven't been home since the beginning of '08. I'm just trying to get a plan laid out before I get there, so when I do get back to NY I can get to work. Just to give everyone an idea where I'm headed with the car, Im looking to make 600-650whp. I'm thinking about a 2.3, built head, shep trans/case, 5 lug swap so i can run driveshaft shop axles and driveshaft, 4 bolt rear, standalone etc. etc. I'd like to use the "smallest" turbo possible in case I do any street driving.

onesickcrx

E85 all day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

It's pretty available in NY now... starting to get more popular /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned