The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

engine building question

Hi guys,

we are currently building up my vr4 engine with arias pistons and were after some insight on what to set the ring end gap to. we are looking at around 20-30psi boost, has anyone used the pistons before and what sort of end gap did you use?

Cheers
Craig

cheekychimp

Someone help this guy out!

These guys looked after me really well on my Ozzy trip and have some nice cars. Craig has had a few issues with his car and I think they are trying to get another one back on the road so please if anyone has any info. or advice, give a shout!

CSMShaun

Contact the manufacturer of your rings or pistons and see what they suggest. Various builders will give different answers but the manufacturer will tell you what they recommend.

thanks for the support cheekychimp!

we cut the rings today at the following specs
top ring - 0.027"
2nd ring - 0.026"
oil ring - 0.020"

this info might be of some use to others building their motor with the same pistons

grocery_getter

holy sh*t! thats big gaps.

20-30 psi on what turbo exactly?

Last edited:

alansupra94

Yeah its a bit on the loose side. I think I ran a slight tighter. Good thing about looser rings is that the expand and hold better at high boost levels. Trade off is at idle you might get slight oil blowing past the rings.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned