The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

NEED HELP HIDs flicker when i hit boost and my radio music kicks out

NEED HELP HIDs flicker when i hit boost and my radio music kicks out but radio still has sound when u touch controls

I changed the headlight grounds and added some additional grounds still same effect how do i fix the volatge spike at high rpms? I also made sure the alternator belt is tightened properlly and the alternator is good i also checked it aswell

marvinmadman

Check the voltage while the problem occurs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif with a multi meter or something. "Good" alternators can be good while idling but freak out at different times just like you described.

I did that as well voltage was reading 13 sumthing while car was on load

Brunoboy

my radio kicks out after i turned the volume up past 18 lol. same problem maybe?

misterfixit

Try chasing the main ground off the battery earth into the wheel arch with a m6 tap. If that one is crusty you will be fighting a loosing battle. Then the big earth strap off the manifold back to the firewall. Once they are hunkydory it should go away.

Rich

Quoting Andy_S:
Flakey grounds would be my first guess.

Last edited:

jnava

Staff member
cheap HID's tend to flicker, unless you bought phillips and a few other high end, this will occurr. My friend bought one from a seperate vendor from a different company and we have the same results. My is attached through the stock connectors.

My battery is located in the trunk and what is the wheel arch is that underneanth the wheel if u take it off the upper part

Def sounds like bad grounding. Although there are def a lot of HID kits that are crappy, in his case, even his radio cuts out, so it's not something just isolated to the kit. I would try betting some better grounding...and def check our ground to battery if you have relocated it and make sure it's grounded well. Bad grounding can cause a lot of headaches.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
He should look at dashboard area grounds, like around the radio and interior fuse box/junction block.

The last pair of hids i had flicker as well i changed them so now that couldnt be the problem only thing left to do is ground from battery and check dashboard and fuse box grounds thanks guys

Ok i added 2 more grounds HIDs do not flicker anymore But the radio music still goes out when the head lights turn on :-( and sometimes when i put the turn signal on the head lights on along wit it not fully but slighty what does this mean??

1990ggsxnj

Please use punctuation to end your sentences.
Sounds like you still need to check/add grounding to your radio. If it's aftermarket and high output the stock grounding may not be enough.
The end of your (long) sentence seems like you're getting what everyone else gets at idle with stock alternators which is a voltage drop. What voltage are you getting at idle and what is your idle set to?

Last edited:

Ok i will add more grounds to the radio. My ALT reads 13 amp at idle and my car idles at 1300. What gauge wire should the radio grounds be and how many should i add?

Also now i noticed that when i turn on the head lights the radio takes real long to dim down. And when i turn the head lights off it takes long for the radio to illuminate. What could this be??

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts