The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cracks in turbine housing (14b), need advice.

I found a very cheap 14b turbo on eBay last year that supposedly has been laying around in a workshop since 1999.

Anyway, there are two small cracks around the wg flapper.
Can I drive with this turbine housing, or should I change to a E3B16G turbine housing??
If your advise is a better/newer turbine housing, should I buy a turbine housing or spend a little extra and buy a E3B16G turbo??

My engine is down at the moment for a "stock" rebuild (stock bottom end) and right now my only focus is to get it back on the road (it's been a JSB member for the last 5 years). It will only se stock power for a while until I get used to a turbo car again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here are some pictures of the cracks.

So, what do you say about these cracks?? Can I drive with this or should I get a better/newer housing or a complete turbo??

ktmrider

Very common for the 14b to crack like that. No problem using it temporarily.

Not sure the E3 housing "bolts up" to a 14b, the 6cm vs 7cm outlet would require the hot side wheel too IIRC. Would just spend the money on a complete setup.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Those are actually fairly minor cracks compared to some I have seen. Not desirable of course, but usable.

H05TYL

Quoting ktmrider:
Very common for the 14b to crack like that. No problem using it temporarily.

Not sure the E3 housing "bolts up" to a 14b, the 6cm vs 7cm outlet would require the hot side wheel too IIRC. Would just spend the money on a complete setup.

All the td05 hot side wheels and shafts are the same. It'd probably be easier to get hold of a complete 16G rather than just the exhaust housing though wouldn't it?

Oh and those cracks are pretty minor - when I pulled my old 14b off you could see daylight through the turbine hosuing from 3 separate angles!

Good to hear that I still can drive with that housing for a while!

FP sells a seperate housing and a complete unit. But I'm thinking on bying a complete unit when the housing on this one is trash. A complete unit is only 200$ more than just the housing!

Thanks for your help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

those dont look bad yet i would run it like that but would change it when you can

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts