The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ZR4 Front axle issue

Well I have just put my E39a ZR4 back to 4WD after the previous owner had converted it to RWD. Took it for a couple drives around the block without an issue until today when we were trying to set up the ECU. I went up the road and back fine then went 4 a second time giving the accelerator a squirt then there was a bang from the front right followed by a clunking sound. Pulled over and the right front inner CV had popped out and thrown the tripod bearings all over the road. The front axles/gearbox/ transfer etc were all from a ZR4.

Anyone have any ideas as to what is going wrong here before I put another axle in it just to have the same thing happen? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Thanks guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

brisvr4

It sounds like you didn't pop the drivers side axle all the way in ( for us rhd guys ).
Does the axle have a small retaining clip on the inner side?

I probably should of mentioned that the inner cup stayed in but the 3 bearing/tripod part fell out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif .

PreskitVR4

could it have been an axle for something else? seems like its a bit short. thats the only way i can think of it popping out with the cup staying in place.

misterfixit

you got the right axles off a manual? Manual vs auto are different...

Rich

I dont think so as I got the gearbox, transfer and axles all out of the same doner car that was running fine before removal. I have just found out that the front coilovers are from a EVO 4 that have been modified to fit the ZR4 hubs... Could these be holding the axle out a bit further than they should if they have not been modified correctly?

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Your lower control arm and steering knuckle locate the spot where the outer joint is bolt into.

That is what I was thinking....

Can anyone tell me how far the inner 3 bearings go into the inner cup? Or even better have a picture?

Thanks again guys.

Ok,

after more investigating I have swapped the front coilovers for actual VR4 ones, fitted another axle and put back together. Still have the issue of the inner tripod bearings not going into the cup far enough. The passenger side (left side) goes in perfect so I thought I would measure up the left and right lower arms and make sure the hubs were the same which they are. The only other thing I could see been the problem is am I using the wrong inner cv cup? Does anyone have pictures of the right front inner cv cup and possibly measurements that I can compare to what I have?

Thanks.

misterfixit

ill dig out my spare set of shafts and measure them for you tonight.

Rich

misterfixit

Right here's my spare set of shafts.

Before asking i'll not break into them, as got my hands full at the mo but this should give you a good view to atlease check what you've got.

Hope this helps!

Rich

Sweet as, thanks for that. Gives me a bit more of an idea of what I can tick off my not the problem check list /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

misterfixit

Found this while rummaging, any help?

Rich

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned