The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

a couple questions

LordAthey

First one is I have a head from a 93 tsi auto and was wondering if its a direct swap over, (I'm 90% sure it is I just want to make sure). Second is some dude from the parts store told me to put like foam or some copper spray over my head gasket. I'm never heard of this before I've always just put the gasket on and torqued the bolts down. I was just wondering what your thoughts about that were. PS the reason I'm swapping heads is because when I took my head off for the engine build I tried to put my valve cover bolts back in and they were all stripped (so i've been making due with this for a couple months, but this burning half a quart a oil day is really getting on my nerves.)

1990ggsxnj

If the head is fine otherwise, why not just drill and retap for larger bolts?

TylerAdamson

The head is from a 7bolt motor and they used smaller diameter head studs. I've seen guys use them without issues before, but I've also seen guys have to bore the hole out slightly. As for the copper spray, I've always used it on new head gaskets. A can of copper spray is around $7 and can be found at just about every parts store.

Last edited:

LordAthey

The problem with that is they must have been tap once already. The bolts that were in place were not the stock bolts that came with it and barley fit where the bolt goes into the valve cover /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif. I don't want to try and tap them out again and have to do some other mod work. So I'm going to take the safe option of just replacing the damn thing instead of trying to make this crappy one work. I have the whole weekend to get this done so im not worry about time.

Last edited:

LordAthey

alright cool I noticed that they have a larger bolt, but I'm cool with having to bore the manifold out a little I was just making sure it wasn't going to be a pita to install.

beaner

The 6 bolt head bolts are a millimeter larger diameter than the 7 bolt head studs. Because of this, the 10 holes in the head for the head bolts need to be drilled larger. I used a 1/2" drill bit and did it myself. The bolts don't keep the head aligned on the block, the dowel pins do, so you don't have to be machine-shop exact with it. I used a hand drill and went slow. The real challenge is getting the metal shavings completely out of the head before putting it back on the block. Keep in mind that one of these 10 holes doubles as an oil passage, so pay attention to that when doing this.

The copper spray is for the metal head gaskets. If you're using a composite head gasket, do not use any spray or you'll be doing it all over again. Ask me know I know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

LordAthey

I'm alright thanks, I'm just going to be using a stock head gasket so i'm guessing no on the copper spray. lol

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned