The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1g Radiator in a GVR4?

This may be a stupid question, but I was wondering if you can put a 1g radiator in a GVR4? My radiator was stolen, and I've sourced a replacement, but before I buy it, I'm wondering if I can use parts sourced locally... I know that the GVR4 has the fill cap mounted on the radiator, and the 1g DSM has the fill cap mounted on the thermostat housing, so I would have to swap the thermostat housing as well, which I have, but will this conversion cause other headaches that I'm not considering?

My guess is that the intake tube would interfere with the fill cap if it were on the thermostat housing, which is most likely why they moved it to the radiator on the GVR4.

Thanks for reading!

524of1000

I run a 1g radiator and t-stat housing with no issues. The mounting points on the top of the radiator are lower than on the VR4 radiator. To remedy this I threaded a screw into the mounting point as some what of an extension. Others have fabricated their own mounts.

ktmrider

Hey Grey, the TEL rad is also a bit narrower than the GVR4 model. Not a major ordeal but you will have to modify the upper rad mounts to line up with the pins.

Good to hear you're playing with the G ride again!

Thanks for the tip! I guess if I go this route, I'll most likely fab a mount of my own. Honestly though, it seems counter productive to me, as I prefer the location of the fill neck on the GVR4 over the DSM configuration...

Hey Mike! Another good tip, and more reason to fab my own mount, lol!

Yeah, I'm trying to get this pile together, so I can start DDing it, which has always been my plan. I think you caught my thread about the stupid QM in the Talon? Well, in order for me to tear pile 1 apart, I need to get pile 2 on the road. She was all together and running, but the battery was loosing about 1/100th of a volt ever 30 seconds or so while running. So I took it apart, had the alt and batt tested, and they both came back good. Well, while the car was apart, the local scummies helped themselves to my rad and batt. I replaced the batt but the rad is not so easily accomplished. Once that's done, I'll need to figure out this charging problem.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned