The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

91 galant vr4 wont start, wont even crank, just clicks someone help

ok so i bought it with a dead battery, jumped it and drove the car home last night, parked it and now this morning it wont start, the interior lights come on but when i try to start it just clicks, tried jumping it off my other car still does nothing, oh and theres 3 lights on for the turbo, is there somekind of security thats been activated or somthing, any ideas anyone

dsm10o0

Try tapping your starter with a hammer or just repeat turning the key. Ive had this problem with most of my dsm's and my galant. Fixed it with a simple push button starter.

chrisfullwood

Another thing to consider, you mention you jumped it and started it the first time. Your starter is probably fine. it sounds like your battery doesn't have enough Amps to turn the starter over. Voltage is one thing, Amps are a totally different situation. I would bet that you have 12 volts, but the age of the battery may have caused it to drastically lose the stored charge.
You said you tried jumping it again and nothing. Did you have someone in the other car giving it some gas to ensure adequate power flow to the dead car for like 5 mins before hand to build power up.

You could also have a secondary problem, your alternator may not be putting out enough to adequately charge the battery.
I would take the battery and have it load tested.

Last edited:

When I put the terminals back on the battery I get a clicking in the fuse box in the engine bay and then it goes away after a while is that normal

chrisfullwood

yes, that is the various relays being energized.
it would be abnormal if it didn't happen.

Thanx for the help chris, I think my sparkplugs got wet, when I bought the car yesterday there was some liquid on the top of the motor that like an iddiot I didn't clean off, the car was sittin for a year prior to me driving it yesterday so I'm gonna replace them and see what happens

chrisfullwood

I would advise you replace them, yes, but i doubt seriously that would cause the car to not crank over. in the order of things, getting power to the starter happens way before getting spark to the plugs. Not enough power to turn the flywheel. You have to start as far up the chain as you can to isolate issues. If the car would start, and ran like crap, then i would say yes, plugs (but as i said, wise to replace anyway) but im pretty sure you have a battery issue here.

Usually when a starter goes out, you get a single click. (in my experience) meaning the solenoid valve has gone out, you can bypass this by taking a jumper cable from the positive terminal on the battery, and put it on the S terminal of the solenoid. If the car starts now, its the solenoid thats gone bad (just easier to replace the whole starter) a series of clicks usually indicates there is enough power to extend the plunger and cog to engage the flywheel, but not enough to turn it.

start with battery, look at your battery terminals, possibly alternator. And check your cables for corrosion. I wouldnt waste time right now on plugs if your goal is to get the car running again.

just my 0.02 worth, of course its your car, your choice.

Ok so I got the battery charged its good and still nothing I guess its the starter

Adorsey

Check the connections at the T-stat houseing (waterneck).make sure all of them have proper connections. esp. the dual tab plug in the direct front.

dude i've never had this type of car, i've had this car for 2 days and i dont even know where the starter is on this thing, the crazy thing about the whole thing is when i put the terminals back on the battery the tailights and the lights on the dash start going on and off, it has somekind of audiovox alarm box underneath the left side of the steering wheel i dunno if this is causing the car not to start. After that stops when i try to start i hear a click in the front right side of the car and i guess the fuel pump engaging in the back. im effin lost

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Just saw this thread, following your double post into a new thread, so I will copy over what was there.

I would ask if you have any key fobs that operate said alarm system (Audiovox) as you mentioned was installed?

I am thinking that the alarm is cutting power to your starter circuit, because that is all it is designed to do.

Next order of business, assuming no fobs to stop the alarm, is to remove the alarm system and keep a record of all the wires that were cut to tap into the systems.
There may be one wire you can reattach, but it may need a small length depending upon how much was removed when it was spliced into, and there will be other wires that no doubt were stripped back and tapped into and possibly soldered/grafted into. Cutting those soldered portions out is not hard, but make sure you clean everything up, and either tape it really well, or do a very good job reconnecting all the affected wiring.

I an confident that once you get that box out of there, it will be better possible to know if anything is wrong with the car as it sits.

same thing happens when trying to start the car without pressing in the clutch. can it be a safety switch behind the clutch pedal, i read someone was talkin about that in the newbie section

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Yes, if the clutch input switch is not getting a proper connection or being contacted by the pedal so it does switch, then that could be why the starter function is locked out too.

You have two options to explore, but I suspect the easiest to perform is the clutch switch to see if the switch and the nut that may hold it, are actually adjusted properly.

After that, check out removal of the alarm box and start fresh - it has no place being there if you cannot control it and are accidentally setting it off.

524of1000

^this. If the lights are flashing it's probably the alarm. The car came from factory with an alarm so if, say, you open the trunk from the outside without unlocking the door first, the lights will flash and you may not be able to start the car. It's happened to me before.

Adorsey

The lights on my car flash more than three times if I dont unlock the alarm. They flash twice after I use the remote to unlock it. Then, it will start.
Did you get a alarm remote key chain thing? It may not work, you may have to change the small battery in it...

I didn't get a remote key chain, there's and on and off toggle switch that someone installed but that does nothing but turn off the little red light on it

Oh n here's somthin someone just told me since the radio has been taken out of the car that's y its not starting, anyone have any idea about this, is this true

ok pulled the alarm out, pulled the radio fuse out, still nothing, next is actually testing the damn starter off the positive of the battery

Adorsey

The starter should have a direct power cable from the battery already.
Check all your fuse's. On the battery esp.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts