The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Galant GSX - VR4 Conversion... Ongoing.

chrisfullwood

Hey everyone... ive been roaming these forums for a few years, if it werent for posts and advice from people on here, my car wouldnt even exist. So thank you in advance.

Now question / opinion time...lol

Current setup
6 bolt, bored .040
8.5CR
ported/polished head
factory intake/exhaust
large diameter throttle body (i think it came from a non turbo, but it was a long time ago.
E3-16g turbo (factory boost settings - although the boost solenoid is missing)
Aeromotive AFPR (about to install)
550CC injectors
Keydiver stage 3 chip
2.5" exhaust from the CAT back.
factory downpipe
Massive front mount IC. 4" thick.
i have an SAFC2 but, its all set to zero at this point, because of the EPROM chip
2G MAS
minimal Vacuum Lines.
255lph walbro pump, with the fuel pump rewire.
BS removed.

Thats pretty much everything thats in it right now, not bad from a seized block, blown head, pretty much junk vehicle.

The point of the post, is, really where should i take it (once i get her back up and running). I dont have access to an all wheel drive Dyno, so i'm relying heavily on the Chip. my goal has always been 300hp and 300lb's. from research i should have the gear on the car to do it. I have some reliability issues, idle surge, which ive tried to track down, and some days its fine, some days its not.

currently (i suspect because my AFPR isnt installed) it runs really rich, i have to swap plugs every 3000 miles. And i get terrible gas mileage, but it runs like a scolded dog. Once i get my new stuff installed it will return to being my daily driver.

i know i need to get a MBC for it, because right now it just boosts until the wastegate lets it bleed off, and i dont drive it crazy hard accept for every now and then, when i want to hear how cool it sounds...lol I want to get it reliable, and smooth, but powerful so should i want to take it to the local track i can, without having to refuel every lap.

any reasonable suggestions or ideas would be awesome. I live in north eastern OK, so if anyone knows of a 4w dyno nearby, let me know.

thanks, i hope some people have some cool idea's suggestions.
Chris

IncorpoRatedX

huge FMIC and tiny exhaust on low boost through a small turbo is pointless. I would suggest trimming it down to an EVO 8 intercooler and selling that gigantic thing off to someone building a race car.

everything else looks decent. post some pictures.

chrisfullwood

i have considered that, i got that intercooler on sale cause it has a tiny dent on it, and it was as cheap as the other ones. But i have little to no lag with it at all.

i was going to link to my cardomain site which had some pictures, however the site sucks, and isnt working, so ill upload some later.

didnt think my turbo was tiny... but oh well...lol

Oh the other thing, i have no-one who can bend new pipes, and the ones i found for it, fit perfectly (at least they do now..lol) if i can find someone who can bend me some pipes without spending more than i spent on the car to begin with...lol

Last edited:

IncorpoRatedX

ebay search mandrel bent piping or ebay search fmic piping

The turbo isn't 'tiny' really, i ran 12's in my vr4 with that turbo on a stock engine. It's just tiny in reference to the fmic you have. I ran a FUSO box truck fmic with my E3 16G.

chrisfullwood

Yea the intercooler is ridiculous... i got a hell of a deal on it. It still works, so im not really inclined to get rid of it just yet. unless of course replacing it, would improve my gas mileage. lol

well ive ordered a 1g shifter for it, and im going to get the 2 spal fans from a guy on here, to go with my new radiator and my aeromotive AFPR that i have been meaning to put on it for like 2 years..lol And new fuel injector clips, i have 1 that is loose.

what all pieces do you need to do the 5lug swap? is it just the spindles / and brake rotors?

chrisfullwood

i was trying to get peoples opinions on what i can do to fix my fuel mileage issue, and what i could do to my car next. i made the assumption, that because it was technical in nature, and a discussion, that this would be the appropriate place to post. If i was mistaken, I apologise, and have it moved or deleted.

beaner

I don't really care, just could barely figure out what this thread was.

If you have a 255 installed and rewired, but the afpr is still sitting on the work bench, your base fuel pressure is high and you're running pig rich. The price of installing it vs driving thousands of miles like that is not cost effective.

The 2g MAS and 550's cancel each other out nearly perfectly and is one of the best mods for these cars IMO. click I'm not sure what your chip is for, but you might be better off with a stock ecu.

chrisfullwood

i got the chip, to take all the modifications that ive done into consideration. Plus i needed a new ECU anyway, my old one was totally wrong for the car. I just now got the AFPR and it'll be going into the car in the next week or so, when i pull the engine out to clean it, and give it a thorough health inspection.

i would imagine once i get that AFPR in my car will run far better.

beaner

What is the chip setup for? Aside of the injectors and maf, which cancel each other out, I'm not seeing anything to adjusted for needing a chip. Just curious.

The AFPR will make a night and day difference for you in every aspect of driving the car. Between that and doing a boost leak test you should be golden.

chrisfullwood

You know honestly i don't remember what was programmed into the chip....lol

ill look back and see what i got done, i believe it has a change in FP after 40% throttle, limiters removed. And some other things.

this is what i pulled from his website, i guess he isnt doing new orders, just upgrades and mods for existing customers.

- Adjust Rev Limit
- Eliminate Fuelcut
- Octane Value Reset
- Factory Boost gauge conversion
- 2-step or 3-step stutterbox (Launch / Shift RPM)
- A/C Cutout (i dont even AC so this is a mute item)
- Special compensation for Fuel Injector Size
- Deadtime Compensation
- MAS changes / Compensation
- Idle speed changes
- Enhanced Closed-loop operation

Chris

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned