The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hydraulic System Failure: Clutch and ACT 2600

alansupra94

Well I was wondering did anyone else have their clutch system fail because the ACT 2600 is so god damn stiff? Last night while driving, the clutch system on my car just gave way. No warning, or leaking. Just stuck to the floor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

I have braided lines so I am not sure if that compounded the effect but is there a better replacement option for the master and slave if you have a ACT 2600? I really don't feel like replacing the clutch as besides the heavy pedal, it works really well.

Thanks,
Alan

Last edited:

Street Surgeon

You sure you haven't just snapped your clutch fork in 1/2?

KiNgMaRtY

I hate my 2600!! Too stiff, such a thin line for adjustment, puts too much pressure on the whole system... I just replaced master and slave last weekend. Still can't get the carit into gear when the car is on. I will have to try bleeding it some more. If I have to go in there to replace the T/O bearing, don't see what else it can be then I am changing the clutch out to something else.

dmj

ACT 2600 here as well but not stiff at all .I taught my wife to drive stick shift about a month ago on this clutch and she did not complain. Check for leaks if none look elsewhere in the system, was your clutch pedal rebuilt?

chrisfullwood

i have the same setup, although i think i have the 2900lb and it is a really really stiff clutch. I too have had issues with it, but mine was the clutch fork going Ping! at the gas station, snapped that b!tch clean in 2.

i have a really strong left leg though...lol

KiNgMaRtY

It really sucks in Cali traffic going about 0-5 mph in a 70 mile round trip. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

alansupra94

Well after a quick inspection, it seems that there is a break in the line somewhere where the two lines connect near the fusebox. Reason I say this is when I opened the hood, there was clutch fluid all over the fusebox, air filter/intercooler pipes and on the back up sensor. The master and slave have 0 leaks and the fork looks fine.

I think it where the previous owner installed a stainless steel line but looks all retard/weird. I will take pictures and post them.

Muskrat

Doesn't sound like an issue the ACT caused. Probably either corrosion, or my favorite failure diagnosis RPO (retarded previous owner).

alansupra94

Quoting Muskrat:
Doesn't sound like an issue the ACT caused. Probably either corrosion, or my favorite failure diagnosis RPO (retarded previous owner).

Looks like an RPO. Upon inspection, I realize this line is a goodwrench brake line crappily fabricated to work. Sigh. And I start my new job tomorrow :/

grocery_getter

It is so much easier to bad mouth a product or a company before even doing a simple inspection on the real cause of failure.

JNR

Definitely sounds like a loss of hydraulics (leak), so start with the simple stuff first. IMO, I don't think the 2600 is 'too' stiff or hard on other parts and grabs and holds up really well on hard lauches, but pretty tame around town. I have one in #20 and don't feel it's *too* stiff, but is much more than an oem setup (like the ones I had in GTO or CTS-V) and my only complaint is it engages way too soon from the floor (which makes it feel stiffer than it really is), although I believe there is some adjustment and something I'll definitely look into, as it can/does make it tricky in traffic.

alansupra94

Quoting grocery_getter:
It is so much easier to bad mouth a product or a company before even doing a simple inspection on the real cause of failure.

I guess I should have been more specific in my post. I wanted to replace the master and slave with stronger components because I like my ACT 2600.

Last edited:

alansupra94

Holy sh*t! After I replaced the line with a goodwrench stainless steel brake line and bled it, the clutch pedal is like butter now! I don't know what that previous owner did but man it is amazing now. Transmission engages like butter now and requires less effort than the brake pedal by far!

Launch

2600 for the win. Everything else for the fail /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

alansupra94

Yeah I am not sure but it looks like he crimped on end with a plastic crimp. I dunno wtf this guy was doing. Praise the lord I got this car and brought it back to the condition it should be in.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned