The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help! What downpipe for Evo 3 o2 housing?!

fuel

factory I assume? As far as I know the flange bolt holes are the same distance apart and the downpipe exits on the same angle, I think the evo III housing is just larger internally.

The E3 o2 housing has different angle than the stock one.

Klick for info and pics

Best bet would be a dp from tunersnation (GVR-4 spec) or rre (DSM spec).

Last edited by a moderator:

KiNgMaRtY

I need to replace the 2.5 I have on for a 3" soon, well I want too. I hear just get a standard DP and have the flange cut and rewelded at the correct angle

Street Surgeon

My advice is to have a good shop make you up a custom downpipe man. I personally bought a CMPE downpipe through tunersnation that was made for the Evo III O2 housing and was very, very disappointed. For one the quality of the welds is pretty bad, next you have to buy their "test pipe" in order for it to extend to the catback, and the fitment itself is crappy.

The flex section on the downpipe fits between the tcase and the oil pan sump, the problem is that there is less than the width of ONE human hair between the flex and the tcase, and on the other side (between the tcase and oil pan) there's about an inch and a half. The damn flex touches the tcase the whole time and basically superheats it! Shoddy. Especially for a DP as pricey as that.

small3.jpg

EDIT>>> Excuse the poor photo's, all I had was my phone so I just snapped a pic with that. Interestingly enough in the pic it doesn't look toooooooo bad but when you're underneath the car you literally can't fit a hair inbetween the flex and tcase, and this is their DP made specifically for the Evo III O2 housing which I'm currently running.

I won't even get into the catback details..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Last edited:

Its just the stock Evo 3 o2 housing and all I have is the stock vr4 downpipe that has been welded up to a 2.5in pipe all the way back to a muffler of some sort. Its more than just the angle for me...my stock downpipe is to small to even match up to the studs.

I was thinking about getting a DP from tunersnation...but if there is a fitment issue i'll pass...i'll look for a flange and have a custom 1 made...

H05TYL

Quoting fuel:
factory I assume? As far as I know the flange bolt holes are the same distance apart and the downpipe exits on the same angle, I think the evo III housing is just larger internally.

Nah, 14b oxy sensor housing has the flange at a different angle to the 16g version's - stock downpipe will fit, but hits the t-case.

Quoting KiNgMaRtY:
Just check with the shop that they can mandrel bend it and not crush bend it

Im in Alaska...there is no such thing as mandrel bending up here...lol...all we have is crush bending...with a ridiculous expensive price tag.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Buy some mandrel bends, shipped to your door and deliver those to the shop. If they can weld, it should be easy from that point on.

AnotherNewb

Quoting Street Surgeon:

small3.jpg

Poor Poor abused oil pan... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fuel

Quoting H05TYL:
Quoting fuel:

Nah, 14b oxy sensor housing has the flange at a different angle to the 16g version's - stock downpipe will fit, but hits the t-case.

Ahh that makes sense.. I was wondering why I didn't have issues with swapping Evo III stuff onto my stock setup.

Street Surgeon

Hey now, it actually was replaced that day with a new one after test fitting the DP! She was beat up though damn!

How about the 1g e3 dp from rre?? Does the rre dp fit good, or is it as bad as the one from tunersnation??

KiNgMaRtY

RRE's stuck usually fits perfect. One of the guys that works there has like 4 or 5 VR-4's. It's pricier though. There DP's are 2.5 up until flex section then 3" IIRC. I just find it easier getting a 2g DP and having the flange clocked

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts