The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Transmission woes :(

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gifI have a thread in the newbies section explaining but i thought i would post one up here and just see if anyone has any useful information.

My galant was purchased not running, i put in a ecu and test drove it and could not get it to DOWNSHIFT into 2nd gear unless ABSOLUTELY stopped!

I pulled the transmission and started to rebuild it myself but the synchros were in good shape it was the bearings being worn out allowing the gearsets to move ALOT in the case. Also the center Diff looked like it ate a washer or something it was TORE UP. I coughed up 950$ for a transmission shop to do a rebuild, through my uncles auto shop.

I put in a act 2100 solid street disc, RRE no name flywheel and new front axles and brakes. I test drove the car and have 2 problems....

1. Loud grinding noise on deceleration primarily in 3rd at 3000rpms. Only on decel. My rear carrier bushing or bearing is pretty worn out, but this noise was not heard BEFORE the rebuild. Its liveable but annoying as all hell.

2. The F%#@! Transmission DOES NOT WANT TO SHIFT INTO SECOND STILL! If at a roll rev matching anything you can think of if you are moving you can not go from 3rd down to second without a abrupt yet short grind. Shifter is Notchy feeling left to right and has trouble finding gears, but i pulled the boot and everything looks like brand new with very little if any slop at the shifter.

This is really starting to irritate me, i have a 1 year warranty through the shop but i need to know what to check before i guy this thing again.

Also i might note that i have redline mtl in the trans and transfer case. It also has trouble going into reverse when stopped, does not pop out but you must first go to fourth then into reverse.

Im 3800$ in this car and it still isnt right.

I have not looked at the rear differential fluid! Im actually quite afraid to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif 145,xxx miles.

brisvr4

Did you adjust the clutch after you installed everything? It could be something as simple as a bad master or slave cyl.
Get used to the strange grinding noises that you will generally get with a solid hub clutch. They don't absorb harmonics like a stock unit so they transfer a fair bit of noise!

turbowop

Check to make sure the linkage isn't causing issues. Put the car in every gear while it's shut off and check to make sure the shifter arms are in the correct location corresponding with the shifter in the cabin. Like if you put it in second gear via the cabin shift lever, make sure the arm on the tranny is fully extended as well, etc.

Im chaulking the grinding noise up to the clutch or carrier unit.

the clutch is adjusted beautifully and fully disengages/engages amazingly, The upshifts are great it is primarily the 2nd gear downshift issue taunting me. I will do some more looking around tomorrow at the undehood linkage. I might have to look someone up or take it to a respected dsm shop and pay them to adjust the shifter properly or atleast check everything out.

im posting a picture of my shifter it looks to be...different. hard to explain.

ktmrider

Any chance you have a 90 tranny?!? The linkage arms on the tranny are different from the 91-94 boxes.

Can't remember off the top of my head but your symptoms seem to be related to the item above. Check the VFAQ and maybe a search here for more.

EDIT, I found the link: click

Last edited:

Update here thanks to the thread listed I started really looking around the shift linkage. I found one of the bolts that holds the cable bracket on had vibrated out! So the bracket could rock forward and back. This may have been the problem we will see about 4pm when I drive her home, fingers crossed!

No luck the shifter is far less notchy but it still does not like second gear, also the grinding noise persists it is NOT clutch related. i can hear the clutch rattle in a quiet area, this noise is about 1000x louder and more progressive, now not so much limited to decelleration.

I think somethings coming loose in the transmission or the guy didnt rebuild it correctly, either way. I guess i pull it out soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

ill trade for a supermoto if anyone has a 250-400 laying around!

I should probably post this up on dsmtuners theres more traffic over there, but would bad carrier bearings or driveshaft specific issues cause a loud grinding noise or is this going to be a issue in the tcase, rear end or trans? i can feel it in the shifter.

brisvr4

I had a bad grinding sound that would change pitch with speed and it turned out to be a stuffed shim for the output pinion in the trans.
Have you checked your transfer case oil?

I have not checked the transfer case fluid but there has been no drips from the car since ive been driving it and had refilled the transfer case on install...

I checked the rear diff fluid and it was really thin and VERY LOW but wasnt the milkshake or metallic, it had some brass metal shavings that were larger than your traditional shavings.

I could not FOR THE LIFE OF ME get the rear fill bolt out with the car on the ground its almost welded to the damn diff, so i need to find a day when the shop is clear and get the pig on the rack with a big breaker bar.

I still dont think low diff fluid is causing the grind because i can FEEL it in the shifter also at times.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts