The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo 8 struts/shocks

Ok, from the search I have done this topic has not been brought up in a while so here we go again. This is actully a question regarding the Evo shocks on my 1G DSM. All questions regarding this topic on the "other" forums all link to this site so I thought I would go straight to the source. Anyways, I have read all that I found nabout the swap and some things concerning the rears were no clear so I just want to clarify. My Laser is my daily driver so I hope to have everything figured out ahead of time. Here we go with the questions.

Fronts: swap upper 1G mount in place of EVO mount (or redrill the holes but I don't want to do that)
make spacer (1 per side) to go between EVO strut and 1G spindle also need longer strut through spindle bolts
fab something to mount brake line bracket to EVO strut (welded stud to hose clamp as suggested elsewhere)
this should be it for the fronts, if I am wrong please tell me what I missed
Rears: Cut 1G lower shock mount off and weld between lower fork style mount on EVO shock
Is the upper EVO mount the same as the 1G or does it also need to be swaped out like the fronts?
I have read about using a spacer on the upper mount to reduce a saggy butt, is this a requirement or a test fit and see deal? I have read that these
click will bolt up if needed
again, is this it for the rears or is there more to it?

The package I am looking at are off a 03 EVO 8 and have Tein lowering springs. I have not been able to find any info on the Tein springs as far as how low they should lower a EVO so I know there is no idea as to how they would sit on a 1G. My car has 180,000 miles and the suspension is shot so this is my budget attempt at getting something decent. I am not looking to scrape reflectors off the roads or going for the 4x4 look, just something close or just a hair lower than stock. Thanks again for any assistance guys!

4thStroke

The Evo rear top hats are the same, you will only need to modify the lower mount. The spacer is optional, I did not use one and do not feel the need.

For a 1G, you will want Evo springs that lower the Evo as much as possible. Tein has some springs that dump the Evo down pretty dang low, so you may be set there, but do not be surprised if you need to trim them a little.

It sounds like you have a good grasp on what needs to be done.

CutlassJim

Don't forget that the bolt holes in a 1G spindle are 10mm and the holes in Evo front struts are 12mm (or 12/14mm) so you need to drill out your spindle.

And for the stud you could also just drill a hole in a clamp and put a bolt through the backside if finding someone good enough to weld a stud on a hose clamp is going to tough. Don't forget about our old friend the zip tie either.

Thanks for chiming in guys. I was a little worried the Tein lowering springs already installed on these EVO struts may be too low, but sounds like using them will be more of a benefit. I am still trying to find out more about them using the part numbers on the springs but so far no luck.
CutlassJim, thanks for adding the fact about the larger bolt holes in the front struts. I am thinking that maybe I will drill out the lower bolt and leave the upper bolt hole in the spindle the stock size, this way I can get some camber if I need it. Just not sure how I will keep it from moving around?

4thStroke

To keep the top snug, buy some hardened washers and crank the bolts down tight.

The Teins that drop the Evo the lowest, drop the Galant down nicely, it doesn't drop it to the point in which it's not practical. People often times use DSM springs to lower their Galants. I'm thinkin you will be ok with the Teins.

Be careful when you weld the bottom mounts. My buddy didn't pay much attention to what was going on and lit the rubber on fire for a second. Didn't burn enough to do any damage, but still not desirable and it's a gas charged shock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Last edited:

curtis

Steve when you weld them just spot them then take a BFH and go to beating and wrap the ears around the bushing and weld as you go and have a bucket read to cool rapidly with if you need to. Usually a wet rag pulls the heat out. as for the springs I think you'll be good all around on a dsm but may have to trim a 1/4 of a coil at a time on the front. Never set up a set for a disem but shouldn't be any different. I would go with the Evo tops in front. I tried the VR4/dsm and now have the car modded for the evo's and its a way noticeable change for the better with them. I did thread on them back years ago when I did them and other threads about the evo stuff as well so maybe a search under my name for them is in order.

Curtis,
Thanks for chiming in and the link to your old thread. I have no problem drilling the holes for the Evo struts mounts if there is an improvement as you say. Considering these cars are 20+ years old now I am sure Mitsubishi has made a change or two since then. I've been reading some of the threads about problems with a sagy rear after installing the evo rears and wonder if the lower mount is being welded in the wrong spot. I have a set of spare rear DSM shocks, I think I will mock up a jig for the DSM shocks. This way I can install the EVO's in the jig and set the lower DSM mount in the EVO shock at the same place of the DSM shock assembly then tack it up. For final welding, I will just submerge the shock into water.

curtis

Steve something else you could do and I've done it on something just can't remember what it was.

Tap off the lower mount and clean up the old paint then weld a small tube the same dia as the bottom of the mount then cut to the lenght you want, and take a cartridge roll and dress up the inside if it flowed in during welding. That way your not tacking on the tube and the height will be what you want.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Looks like a decent possibility.

I think that rear mount bolt is 12mm, so could work.

tektic

They fit real well. I had to get more tubing for the bolt to go through. $45 shipped for materials.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts