The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Aluminum o2 housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barnes

Kcpaz in 3..2...1...

SleepinGVR4

I don't know a lot about welding, but I'd definitely check to make sure the flange that bolts up to the turbine housing isn't warped. I had a megan racing 02 warp after reinforcing the welds and re-doing the dump to clear the crossmember.

If you had it bolted down to something while you welded it, then I'm sure its not warped.

As for holding up to the heat, someone else will have to answer that one.

dmj

Only time will tell. It is going to be subjected to a lot of thermal stress and will fail quickly. that why you don't see aluminum exhaust manifolds and o2 housings being sold. My 2 cents.

boostedinaz

Quoting TrendSetter:
Will it survive?

No, and when it does fail lets all hope it doesn't start a fire in your engine bay.

Quoting BarnesMobile:
Kcpaz in 3..2...1...

I have no doubt he can already sense a disturbance in the force. Aluminum for the application AND pie cuts...... oh man.

Last edited:

kcpaz

This forum needs a facepalm smiley /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif ... I mean seriously, did nobody research before building this abortion?

spoulson

2vw8jk4.jpg

curtis

Will live at idle but WOT should die rather quickly, idle temps on a turbo are in the 700 range but WOT pulls with a hard load will go to the 1300 range and even though its cold on the outside compared to 1300 will start to break down and melt fast. Thing is the welds will fail faster than the actual pie cuts. Turbulent flow on the boundry layer will create hot spots on the edges where there welded and the fill rod will start to blow out like having a plasma torch on it.

click me

Last edited:

Quoting kcpaz:
I mean seriously, did nobody research before building this abortion?

im curious what the potential problem is that needs to be researched.

Quoting curtis:
click me

im glad i put steel pistons and an iron cylinder head on my motor when i rebuilt it.

curtis

Just looked it up and er4043 fill rod melts at 1155F so not good.

curtis

Stop and think for a minute, aluminum heads have cooling jackets for a reason and pistons have oil squirters and oil being flung on them. Plus they have fuel flowing in, 70% of the fuel used in a combustion engine is to cool the pistons.

A turbine housing and especially a down pipe have nothing but super heated gases flowing against them. Yes a little unburnt fuel but not a noticeable percentage to save this from melting.

KiNgMaRtY

Its not worth the mess it will cause if it melts it. If you put a jacket it will still be the same temp, actually hotter in the inside so it may just melt it quicker. Just get a pnr, megan, or ebay o2 if you want something other than oem and use that one as a paper weight

curtis

As Paul said wrap will keep in the heat and make it fail faster. Maybe a Jethot coating would make it last but at probably 100 for jethot coating you can buy a stainless one and be done. I've seen exhaust systems done in aluminum but are after the cat or flex and back under the car. Not sure of the temps back there but there probably down in the 500 range by then. Heat keeps the ve up and this is the place people put x pipes on v8 they paint the individual pipes and where it stops melting then thats where the x is placed.

kcpaz

Quoting TrendSetter:
im curious what the potential problem is that needs to be researched.

How about you start with basic metallurgy... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I mean, where did you get the idea that it would be a good idea to use aluminum in a high-heat, high vibration application? Let me guess, you saw some guy with a 240SX "drift" car who built some crappy, pie-cut monstrosity and decided instead of being what your "screen name" suggests, you would blindly follow what some retard did because he picked it up from some other retard, who saw it done on some show car, or something dumb like that, and decided you would one-up him by building an O2 housing to "save even more weight" and earn even more boy-racer points. What's next, an aluminum turbo manifold... or how about titanium... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Have you ever wondered why nobody in any REAL racing scene uses aluminum on their race car exhaust? It's because it doesn't work for exhaust applications!!! Do yourself a favor and read this...

click

Quoting TrendSetter:
im glad i put steel pistons and an iron cylinder head on my motor when i rebuilt it.

This also seems like a pretty smart-ass comment from someone who is relatively new to the board, and clearly has a LOT to learn...

Last edited:

Quoting kcpaz:
instead of being what your "screen name" suggests

how many other dsms have aluminum exhaust? oh thats right they all have the same sh*t as every other dsm.

Quote:

Have you ever wondered why nobody in any REAL racing scene uses aluminum on their race car exhaust? It's because it doesn't work for exhaust applications!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

alum_downpipe2.jpg

alum_downpipe.jpg

65938d1234109756-aluminum-downpipe-done-billy-20t-20032.jpg

gto17.jpg

plus the two drag cars i help on have aluminum from the turbo back. one is a twin 88mm 515" outlaw 10.5 car, the other is one of the highest horsepower 76mm turbo cars running right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned