The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Corrosion in the cooling system (Got Rust?)

mitsuturbo

I was looking through some stuff on Summit racing, and I came across a Zinc Anode, which is to be inserted into the cooling system. Apparently it goes in the radiator petcock. This got me to thinking and wondering; what are some of the best corrosion inhibiting things that can be done to the cooling system? Would a zinc anode actually be a good idea? I guess it helps out with corrosion on ship hulls... why not our cooling systems as well?

Also, what sorts of fluids help out best with preventing corrosion? Is dexcool better than ethylene glycol? Is the all-compatible coolant best?

I'm about to drop my engine in, and i want to make sure i've got the best rust/corrosion protection possible. I've got -4an water lines going into the wastegate, and don't need them clogging up, especially with the heat that is generated inside the head of the wastegate. When i pulled 1411 apart, there was some goop in the turbo water lines. I was running a 50/50 glycol/water mix. Clearly that alone wasn't the best option possible.

So, what's worked the best for you guys?

SouthCaliVR4

Honestly I doubt the zinc does much in this application. you would be further ahead by using distilled water when you mix your antifreeze. that way you're not itroducing minerals & such into the system.

BTW on boats zincs are only used in salt water, they are not needed in fresh.

AnotherNewb

Zinc is needed in BOTH fresh and salt water, more so salt water. But its real benefit is its protection against electrolisis.

For your application, the zinc isn't going to do anything. DEXCOOL SUCKS. A good 50/50 mix of ethel glycol and water is more than enough. If you want to feel special, add some water wetter. Helps protect against corrosion, lubricate the water pump and even lowers temps. Dirt track guys will run only water and water wetter in their cars.

Also, a good grounding system will go a long way in preventing corrosion between dissimilar metals.

Corrosion in coolant systems is caused by lack of maintanence plain and simple. expecting a fluid that is heat cycled MANY MANY times to last 100,000mi is unrealistic. Thats why manufactures have recomended service intervals that include changing more than your engine oil.

DynastyLCD

DEXCOOL SUCKS (quoted for truth)

if you wanted to go crazy, you could try that Toyota long-life pink coolant. ive yet to see any of those with massive amounts of corrosion, i havent seen a ton of cars over 100k with that stuff in it though.

mitsuturbo

It's good to get some feedback.

It's looking like the general consensus would be to run a little ethylene glycol, a bottle of water wetter, and distilled water for best results.
This is what i was thinking, but was also curious about the anode. Also, when i worked in the oil change business, Dexcool was SUPPOSED to be the "good stuff". I guess it's since been proven not to be.

DynastyLCD

between myself, and 2 of my friends, weve done a total of 6 different GM vehicles just this last month that all had intake gasket failures. every one of these was using dexcool. the only pro of dexcool is that it wont kill your pets if they consume it, iirc. but they do eat through gaskets. this is not to blame dexcool 100%, as ive seen more than plenty in the past with intake gasket failures using regular coolant.

mitsuturbo, youve got the right idea using water wetter, ethylene glycol, and distilled water. thats about as good as its gonna get if you ask me.

AnotherNewb

Quoting DynastyLCD:
between myself, and 2 of my friends, weve done a total of 6 different GM vehicles just this last month that all had intake gasket failures. every one of these was using dexcool. the only pro of dexcool is that it wont kill your pets if they consume it, iirc. but they do eat through gaskets. this is not to blame dexcool 100%, as ive seen more than plenty in the past with intake gasket failures using regular coolant.

mitsuturbo, youve got the right idea using water wetter, ethylene glycol, and distilled water. thats about as good as its gonna get if you ask me.

DEXCOOL is aweful, but so are GM intake gaskets, plastic gaskets with rubber ran around them..... Stupid idea. When I was in a shop GM intake gasket (and suspension parts) Were my bread and butter.

You are correct that DEXCOOL is enviromentally frendly, the catch is it has to be heat cycled before it can be friendly.

I never got the point of using distiled water in a radiator. You pretty much un-distill it as soon as it hits your radiator. I wouldn't think that there would be that much minerals and contaminates to make a difference in a cooling system. Now batteries are a different story....

Quoting AnotherNewb:

Corrosion in coolant systems is caused by lack of maintenance plain and simple. expecting a fluid that is heat cycled MANY MANY times to last 100,000mi is unrealistic. Thats why manufactures have recommended service intervals that include changing more than your engine oil.

Couldn't have said it better. Just drain and replace the coolant mixture atleast every couple of years and you'll be just fine.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned