The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

catch can contents

14u2nV

What is this? It's not antifreeze, there is some oil, but what is the rest? Checked my catchcan today and it was full. This has a VERY strong gassy/something smell, but doesn't seem to be flammable. I just recently ran a bunch of seafoam through the engine, then did an oil change and put some seafoam in with that oil to help clean it more. Planned another oil change in a week or two to get whatever is left out. Looking inside the oil cap is very clean. Is this just possibly the seafoam that has made it's way to the catchcan?

* You can't really tell in the pic, but the fluid is all clear/yellowish aside from the oil slicks, and is about half an inch deep.

Last edited:

Terry Posten

It is mostly water that has been mixed with oil.

Mine used to do it also before I had Class One rebuild the motor.

Completely normal, don't worry about it.

But you do want to drain it often so the reservoir does not overflow and start leaking all over the engine bay (if you have a filter top like I do anyway)

14u2nV

cool, the smell is what made me wonder. I didn't want to taste it and see what it was. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Quote:
tubgirl is in your engine.

Oh God
vomit-smiley-31.gif

mitsuturbo

It could definitely be seafoam as well as oil vapor and normal condensation. It's normal to see plenty of emulsified crap come out of the catch can. There's always going to be some condensation.. you catch can is a place for it to cool and coalesce, rather than simply evaporating. Anything that evaporates out of your engine is probably going to wind up in the catch can.

This is causing me to have 2nd thoughts about having a catch can drain back into the block with my -10AN breather oil cap setup.

DynastyLCD

my engines a fresh rebuild - new rings, bearings, fresh hone, new valves & seals, the whole 9 yards. i change my oil & filter every 1500 with rotella T 15w40. and the catch can always had the "fugatz" as my friends and i lovingly call it. as mitsuturbo stated, the catch can always has some condensation in it, and whatever condensation is in the engine's crankcase will mix with the oil within the can.

i would definetly think twice about dumping the catch can back into the engine due to this, unless you always see straight oil coming out of it.

JSchleim18

Vent it to the atmosphere during street driving...recirculate it to the block when racing.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned