The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Turbo Choices

Lukefraizer

So I'm fresh looking into a turbo and I wanted to know if people preferred the Forced Performance click or the Precision Turbo click

Which of these companies has the better reputation and best performance/reliability?

4thStroke

Those two turbos are completely different. The DSM76 will require more than $1700 to use. You will also need the v-band o2 housing and TiAL 44mm wastegate. The DSM76 has a 4" anti-surge compressor cover and FP's billet wheel. The FP hot side is tried and true and a very nicely built piece.

My DSM76 made 557whp on ethanol. We stopped there because the 1250cc injectors were maxed out. That turbo makes wayyyy more power than the Precision will. I made 440whp on 92oct.

I've had it for over a year now and have had zero issues with it.

I see 24psi right at 4000RPM with the JMF SMIM, Comp 272 cams, FP exhaust manifold, and other supporting mods. On ethanol, the turbo can be revved out to 9000RPM and still makes power. On 92oct, when the car made 410whp, it still held 400whp out to 8000RPM.

I'm a huge fan of this turbo. It's great for street driving, although it won't make 35R numbers, the power under the curve is more impressive (in most cases).

Last edited:

3rdstrikedsm

Quoting Lukefraizer:
So I'm fresh looking into a turbo and I wanted to know if people preferred the Forced Performance click or the oPrecision Turb click

Which of these companies has the better reputation and best performance/reliability?

FP by a looong shot!

KiNgMaRtY

Reliability wise, FP easy.
I did own a 5031 BB for some time and I was always afraid something would go wrong with all the PTE horror stories.I got a good one though. I sold it with my 1g GSX

Last edited:

3rdstrikedsm

Yea PTE sucks big time as their quality is that of an e-bay china made turbo either FP if you have the funds or if on a budget try Holset as they are one of the most durable out there and will make good usable power for cheap.

mitsuturbo

If nothing else.. the PTE turbine housings TOTALLY suck balls. They're huge, heavy, not nearly as good as the FP design in general, and they push the CHRA a couple inches further toward the passenger side.

The shifting the turbo to the right alone was enough to keep me from ever wanting one. Mounting one and putting a return line on for a buddy was enough of a bitch i never want to deal with that sh*t again.

Lukefraizer

I talked to both companies than to the guy who is guiding me theough the project and we decided to go with the fp 68hta

Hopefully it will come sooner than later but we have already had a lot of delays with the shipping experienc. Needless to say I'm pretty ready after a week of them having the parts and not sending them to get it all in!!

curtis

Man for that kind of price look at the bullseye s362 or s366 extended tip schwitzer/borg warner/airwerks units. They both flow the same but the 66 comes into power sweet spot faster than the 62. They make stupid power and below 20psi is like driving a 14b but up top turns into a tire shredder. The dyno graphs always show a straight climb in power not like a big bad supra thats flat to 6K then straight up. If the big vgt unit doesn't work on mine the way I expect I'll be buying a s372 or larger for mine. Go to you tube and start searching s366 s370 bullseye schwitzer etc there's hours of video's now

click me for Bullseye site.

4thStroke

curtis, with the BW stuff, you are either limited to the poor design of the Bullzeye bolt on hot side, or spending a lot of cash for a good T3/T4 manifold. The initial price is appealing, but then you end up running into other issues and expenses.

This argument has taken place many times, and usually, there is no convincing either party that they are wrong. Even Ron Shearer says the Garrett turbos are a lot more durable than the BW stuff.

The FP stuff fits like a glove, even on the VR4. It's been done for years, there is no guessing, it all works like it should.

He will be able to bolt on his HTA68 in place of his stock turbo with an all around great performer, for less than a grand. The BW stuff is going to cost more than that, no matter which way you attempt to set one up.

The BW stuff does have its place, but it all goes back to the "keep it stupid simple." The FP stuff works great and they are always upping the ante with their billet wheels and new bastardized combinations.

Last edited:

curtis

I had the BW bolted up to a 2nd gen manifold it doesn't get any easier than that. I did go overkill and machined out the holes in the manifold and used 1/2 inch heat treated allen heads and torqued them up to around 100 ft pounds but everything bolted up and even had a internal wastegate. The only thing I had to modify was the water pipe behind the compressor but a spacer between the head and the manifold would have cured that.

As for there hotside years ago the first ones that came out did have some cracking problems but still better than the crackomatic mitsubishi units but the newer stainless ones I've never heard of them cracking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Maybe wrong but never seen one cracked.

4thStroke

I'm not referencing cracking hot sides, the Bullseye design is inferior. A lot of the bolt on Holset guys talk them up a lot, but rarely do they ever perform.

Isn't this the 3rd company that the owner of Bullseye has started? It seems like I've heard that he's ripped people off and/or practiced shady business deals.

You were able to get the 2g manifold to bolt onto a T3 hot side? How'd that turn out? How was power, spool, etc? I wouldn't picture a 2g manifold flowing into a BW hot side would flow all that efficiently. With the FP stuff, there is no modifying or spacers needed. Although this may not be a big deal for some, imagine if you were looking for a turbo and had a laundry list of items to modify before you could even think about bolting the turbo on. If you are given one of these turbos, that's a different scenario.

A shot in the dark full potential results, or a tried and true system that has proven itself time and time again?

curtis

Well power was stupid with it. Never made it to the dyno before I tore it down. I sold the manifold to KTMrider I think and the turbo went to a friend here in town. He all so has it on a cast manifold and trapped 106 in the 1/8 mile and still hasn't made it to the dyno and is only running a gm meter and an old translator on the car.

Now as for un efficient maybe the setup wasn't like a header and a full T4 but the car did spool up fast and was at 17psi by around 3500 and the few times I did go to the 24+ range was just as fast you couldn't see a difference on the gauge because stuff was happening so fast. This was the .55 ar or whatever the old bullseyes were. A friend told me a few weeks ago that they had a larger housing now but haven't looked it up to see.

As for the adapter didn't need one because I bought the mitsubishi style housing but my first garrett was a T3 and I had a local machine shop cut an adapter years before they ever sold them on ebay. Now there a cheap option and usually around 40 bucks.

Lukefraizer

FP is completely out of stock of the turbo..... so with all that looking around going back to the evo 3 16g..... bullet proof but not as much room up top to play with is what I'm told... Oh well for rally purposes it will be ideal! should be coming in soon as well and that is even better so we can start playing with the entire set up to make it all purr like a kitten!

mitsuturbo

I ran a BEP housing for a bit with a 60-1. It was alright. Better than the PTE stuff, but couldn't hold a candle to my new FP30 housing.

I took a look at BEP's site yesterday and was shocked at the turbine housings they're producing. They look good, but i dont know about the internal design.

It sure would be nice if FP made a cast manifold with a Vband flange.

cheekychimp

If you were looking at the FP68HTA I would take a look at this

DSM TD05H 20G XT

Still 47 lbs/min uses the EVO III 16G housing which is proven and with the billet compressor wheel it shouldn't lag far behind a 16G.

4thStroke

I'm not a believe in the Blouch billet turbos quite yet.

While their billet Dominator series turbos do make more power, it's not a whole lot more and they bring n a lot more lag. This is the consensus in the Subaru community, as Blouch never really did take off in the Mitsu crowd.

Quoting Lukefraizer:
FP is completely out of stock of the turbo..... so with all that looking around going back to the evo 3 16g..... bullet proof but not as much room up top to play with is what I'm told... Oh well for rally purposes it will be ideal! should be coming in soon as well and that is even better so we can start playing with the entire set up to make it all purr like a kitten!

What are the goals for your setup? A 68hta won't shine much over an Evo 3 until you're running it hard enough that pump gas isn't adequate. So, if you don't have plans to push the td05h turbine for all it's worth, then the 68 really isn't worth the money.

I love my 68, but it didn't really start moving until over 30 psi and meth injection.

cheekychimp

Quoting 4thStroke:
I'm not a believe in the Blouch billet turbos quite yet.

While their billet Dominator series turbos do make more power, it's not a whole lot more and they bring n a lot more lag. This is the consensus in the Subaru community, as Blouch never really did take off in the Mitsu crowd.

That's interesting, I was wondering why I couldn't seem to find any Mitsubishi guys using one for a comparison. If that's true it's a shame because on paper that looks like a hell of a turbo. I'm not really in the market for a turbo of that size but they also do a TDO6 20G which is rated at about 470 horsepower. I was thinking that might make a really good turbo for a 2.3 or 2.4 litre setup.

4thStroke

The thing is, you never know. This isn't one of their billet Garrett based turbos and it may oerform just like the HTA68, it's just that their other billet Garrett offerings don't perform quite like the FP counterparts. Their Dominator turbos are very similar to what FP puts out. For instance, the Dominator 3 is equivalent to the 3052 and performs very well, the Dominator 3XTR is equivalent to the DSM76 (same turbo, just with a billet compressor). This is based off the fact that they both use the Garrett center section, their flow ratings (52lb/min and 57lb/min), and both being a bolt on turbo.

I'm not sure why the Mitsu crowd never gave them a chance, I have not been able to find anything about their turbos on a Mitsu at all. I'd at least lie to see someone give them a fair chance before I make any sort of conclusion.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts