The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

quick injector oring question

14u2nV

What do you use to put the injectors in the rail? Last set I did, I mangled two orings. Can you use pb to lube them, or just put some gas on them? I really don't want to mangle these at $4/ea.

TylerAdamson

Vasoline works well or go buy silicon spray from a parts store.

14u2nV

how about Lubriplate motor assy grease? I don't have those two here and my car is apart.

TylerAdamson

I'd think you'd be alright Or maybe even some engine oil.

Barnes

Strange. I never have this problem. I just put them in slowly and gently. Or I use spit at most.

toybreaker

iconoclast
The best choice for lubricating o-rings in a fluid system is usually the fluid used in the system.

Most fluids have "some" lubricity, and you will have zero chance of harming/deteriorating the o-ring with the approved system fluid. If you use coolant on the water-pipe o-ring, it will live forever. Same with using power steering fluid on the 0-rings in that system.

The same cannot be said if you get "creative" and use petroleum based products on an o-ring that is not rated for it. Engine oil has a whole range of additives, and not all of them are "good" for the long term health of a static seal.

That said, I (and most of the techs I know) use a schosche of pure petroleum jelly on fuel injector o-rings.

A little in the right spot goes a long way!

It will help prevent the little o-ring that seals the fuel from rolling in it's groove, which almost always results in fuel seeps/leaks further down the road.

belize1334

Whenever I've had injectors cleaned they came back with petroleum smeared on the o-rings and caps to protect them from rust/drying. I would assume that means that it's safe since the professionals are using it. That said, a little gasoline will help it slide right in.

Terry Posten

I use Mobile One (or any brand that I have on the shelf) and dip my finger in it and then apply a very small amount on the o-rings. I do that for the fuel inlet hose as well.

14u2nV

I used the libriplate, so we'll see if I get leaks. Last ones got ruined because a couple of the holes in the rail were kinda rough, not smooth like normal.

H05TYL

Quoting toybreaker:

The same cannot be said if you get "creative" and use petroleum based products on an o-ring that is not rated for it. Engine oil has a whole range of additives, and not all of them are "good" for the long term health of a static seal.

That said, I (and most of the techs I know) use a schosche of pure petroleum jelly on fuel injector o-rings.

Sensible advice, however in this case the o-rings will cope with petroleum jelly just fine. Fuel/Gasoline/petrol is also a petroleum distillate, so they wouldn't be much use if they didn't like it!

What does the whoreshop manual say to use?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned