The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil Leak/Burn in engine bay

Hello.

I want to first say that I have searched here and google to no avail.

I have a 91 VR4 that has a severe oil problem.

when the engine is warm, there is smoke coming from behind/under the intake manifold. I have replaced the valve cover and oil pan gaskets and I am now banging my head on the wall..I checked the feed pipe from the turbo to the pan as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. I believe this is a jdm swap as the AWD shaft was missing when I bought it.

Terry Posten

There is a bolt on the back side that allows you to stick a screwdriver in and align/phase the balence shafts during t-blet/b-belt service. It may be missing.

Terry Posten

I think it is that bolt right there. See if it is missing.

Barnes

I can't think of anything on the backside of the block that would be leaking than the bolt Terry mentioned. I can't imagine the head gasket being screwed up in such a way that it is leaking.

Other than that, oil could be leaking on the side of the engine, and then flow down the back. In that case I would suspect the following: valve cover gasket, cam angle sensor o-ring, intake camshaft seal, front main oil seal, oil pump seal, front balance shaft seal.

it will be a few months before I can get to it as the car is in another state, but I will post as soon as I can get to the car.

I greatly appreciate all of y'alls responses, thank you thank you thank you!

-Zach

Wizardawd

I'm all for the missing plug for the BS. But, also a split CV boot could sling grease onto the exhaust and back side of the block.

Wiz

belize1334

The bolt that supports the manifold bracket also passes into the crank-case. I accidentally left mine out once and I was spraying oil onto the rear-subframe until I figured it out. If that bolt is missing you'll have PUDDLES of oil under the car... not just smoke.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts