The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Electrical issue

14u2nV

Ok, car is running, but I still have some issues. My windows won't work. I talked about it in an earlier thread,, if I hold the key in the "start" position, they work. Nothing else will get them to work. Now, I find out my gauges don't work (they light up, just don't move) and when I turned on my heater it popped the fuse. Any suggestions where to start looking? I really don't want to pull the dash, but I'm afraid I'll have to. Most of the radio wiring and ecu wiring was hacked, and I've repaired just about everything. I'm stuck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

14u2nV

Got the heater figured out, po put a 10amp in where it should have been a 30. Still can't figure out the gauges/windows. While cranking the windows work,, no other time. I've tried 4 different switches, swapped out the doors/wiring, and am now stuck.

14u2nV

new issue. What controls the wipers and washer fluid? My wipers stop wherever they are when you shut them off,, won't return to home. Also, I filled my washer fluid, now when the key is on they spray nonstop. What is it that tells both of them to do what they are supposed to?

talontyme

It sounds to me that you may have bad turn signal cluster and a bad ignition switch i'd start there.

talontyme

It sounds to me that you may have bad turn signal cluster and a bad ignition switch i'd start there.

14u2nV

I already tried swapping the ignition switch, no change. I'll try the turn signal switch and report back.

Hertz

Staff member
I'd start at ETACS and work backwards. Both the windows and the wipers have ETACS-controlled features.

14u2nV

Thanks, I'll swap it and see what happens. My locks, lights and seat belts all work though.

Hertz

Staff member
I'm sure you have spares, but I'd be surprised if the unit itself was the culprit. Haven't actually heard of them going bad. I'm guessing it's wiring somewhere.

14u2nV

at least that gives me a starting point. I think I have a complete dash harness if it comes to it, I'm just trying to avoid it.

what's the little black box behind it?

Last edited:

aaron619

MAy be check for water getting into the fuse box. Possible windsheild, or sun roof leak. Just a thought

toybreaker

iconoclast
Make sure the ground strap is attached to the wiper motor, and securely grounded to the mounting bolt.

Also, be sure the ground strap from the battery is securely bolted to clean metal on the firewall.

14u2nV

No water getting in anywhere, I've added extra grounds and have the battery in the trunk. Gna try swapping the whole steering column tonight and see what that gets me.

Hertz

Staff member
Did you use an assembly from a non ETACS-equipped car? Like a 88 Galant LS or something?

14u2nV

The one that was in it did not say 2.0T on it, the one I put in did.

Nabeel

It looks loos connection to me. check the two plugs or connections which are at the driver side under the dash. they are for the gauges, wiper & lights & AC.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts