The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Aeromotive 340-LPH ''intank'' fuel pump..[new]

dmj

Yeah I heard about it . It is supposed to be a lot quieter than a Walbro and eliminate the need for dual pumps, a good aftermarket regulator should be able to keep the fuel pressure in check. Price is estimated to be $169.00 so it is win all around and will probably sell like hot coffee on a cold day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barnes

Whoa, that's pretty slick.

chucklesas

I'm assuming we'd have to run -8 lines to run that pump? I was considering going dual pump with dual feed and single return (if I ever get money to try and get my car going again). This might be the best, most cost effective option though.

mitsuturbo

Quoting Charles:
I'm assuming we'd have to run -8 lines to run that pump? I was considering going dual pump with dual feed and single return (if I ever get money to try and get my car going again). This might be the best, most cost effective option though.

I hear honda guys are making plenty of power on 5/16 lines. I think this whole "upgrading" of the fuel line may just be overrated. A 340lph pump should be good for 10's easily with stock fuel line, so long as the critical pieces of restriction are upgraded. By that, i mean the filter and lines to the rail from it.

Barnes

Uhg. I'm tempted to do a simple calc to show whether or not there is any point in upgrading lines.

boostin4door

Yeah, it looks like a good option for people. Aeromotive makes good stuff so it should work well.

In regards to upgrading the fuel line, there's been alot of debate on that over the years,I remember in the late 90's some guys were running 10's on stock lines and others had upgraded stuff. I guess it depends on your setup,HPgoal & possible future mods.
Each car is different and you have to consider the inner diameter of the lines when comparing stock vs. -6an or whatever. The real restriction appears to be at OEM filter,line & fittings.

I've been using -6an line throughout my entire fuel system[w/stock rail]since 1998 on my GSX & now the Galant.[return line is still stock]and it works well for me.
-6an seems to be plenty for most "street car" setups.

IMO,the -8an & -10an lines seems to be more needed for crazy highHP/E85, race setups.

Last edited:

Barnes

Anyone know the I.D. of the stock fuel line?

boostin4door

Quoting Beaner:
"-6an is very close to the size of the stock line, I'm not sure why people bother."

Well.. as quoted from the old SteveTek "High flow fuelsystem" VFAQ:[yr. 2000 I think]

"One common method to supply more fuel to the engine is to increase the pressure at the fuel pump by increasing the voltage. This definitely increases the pressure at the pump, but that doesn't necessarily translate to more volume at the fuel rail. This is because the whole system was designed to deliver the volume of fuel that the stock injectors need, and not much more. The same analysis holds for installing a high flow pump. The fact is that you can only push so much fuel through the 'coffee straw' stock system. Its a capacity problem."

"With the help of a local performance shop with a liquid flow bench, I was able to run some flow tests on the stock fuel delivery system. It was found that from the fuel pump outlet to the fuel rail inlet fitting, a flow of ~1.9 LPM @ 60psi could be measured. When the pressure was increased to 75psi, the flow only went up by 0.1 lpm. That's only ~5% more flow for a 25% increase in pressure... not good. Couple that with the fact that stock injectors are 450 cc/m so that four of them can approach a flow of 1.9 lpm (4 x 450) , it can be seen that we are approaching the point where the injectors can outflow the fuel system."
Problems w/the stock fuel system:
-The fitting at the fuel rail only has a diameter of 5.5mm
-The banjo fitting at the outlet of the fuel filter.
-Fuel filter is a low-flow design (2 lpm).
-The steel fuel line is only 3/16" ID.
[BTW: the -6AN line & fittings has an actual measured ID of 5/16"]

"After retesting the system: -6an line flowed ~10 LPM @ 60psi."

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

I believe this to be erroneous. I do not believe the stock fuel line is 3/16", as i've measured it and it's very VERY close to 5/16" where the hardline goes into the fuel filter.

I do, however... believe that the outlet into the fuel rail is a mere 3/16", since it has oft been measured at a mere 5mm. This does NOT make the entire fuel line 3/16". This is precisely why i bought the Fuelab filter, and went with -6an fittings/lines from the end of the hardline under the filter to the rail.

TylerAdamson

The stock fuel lines are in fact 5/16". This is why some feel that swapping to -6(6/16") lines is somewhat pointless unless your stock lines are rusted out.

4thStroke

I made 557whp on ethanol with stock lines and stock replacement fuel filter. In tank 255 and in line 255 between the fuel filter and fuel rail, I simply cut the rubber line between the filter and rail and clamped the lines to each end of the pump. My limitation was at the 1250cc injectors. Remember, ethanol requires a higher volume of fuel than most any other fuel that is commonly ran.

chucklesas

Has anyone started running this fuel pump?

mitsuturbo

The first batch sold out quite rapidly, and they've been on backorder a while now. Last i saw, summit and jeg's had them showing with a ship date estimated early may. Other places i've talked to said MAYBE mid april, but the list keeps growing. I said f*** it and just ordered one of the 340lph pumps from Jay Racing.

Should be here today or tomorrow.

14u2nV

What's the deal with stalling on stats? Make a few, sell them and never back up the claims?? Great business plan. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

slugsgomoo

Quoting boostin4door:
Quoting Beaner:
"-6an is very close to the size of the stock line, I'm not sure why people bother."

Well.. as quoted from the old SteveTek "High flow fuelsystem" VFAQ:[yr. 2000 I think]

"One common method to supply more fuel to the engine is to increase the pressure at the fuel pump by increasing the voltage. This definitely increases the pressure at the pump, but that doesn't necessarily translate to more volume at the fuel rail. This is because the whole system was designed to deliver the volume of fuel that the stock injectors need, and not much more. The same analysis holds for installing a high flow pump. The fact is that you can only push so much fuel through the 'coffee straw' stock system. Its a capacity problem."

"With the help of a local performance shop with a liquid flow bench, I was able to run some flow tests on the stock fuel delivery system. It was found that from the fuel pump outlet to the fuel rail inlet fitting, a flow of ~1.9 LPM @ 60psi could be measured. When the pressure was increased to 75psi, the flow only went up by 0.1 lpm. That's only ~5% more flow for a 25% increase in pressure... not good. Couple that with the fact that stock injectors are 450 cc/m so that four of them can approach a flow of 1.9 lpm (4 x 450) , it can be seen that we are approaching the point where the injectors can outflow the fuel system."

I wonder what pump they were using, since that would actually matter. A fuel pump should flow its highest volume at a relatively low pressure, and flow should actually drop as pressure increases.

chucklesas

FYI, I talked with Jay over at Jay Racing and here is the feedback he gave me on the 340 that he sells:

"Charles,
We had a guy make 621 AWHP on E85 with just a single pump. I have a digital fuel pump tester here to check/compare flows. The Pro Series pumps we sell are the highest flowing Walbro sized pumps out there. Better than DeatschWerks and the Walbro reworks. Reliability has been flawless so far."

I'll be ordering a 342 model from him soon.

TRBODSM

I got one of these for my Evo but havnt put it in yet. I knew they were going to sell fast so I got one while I could.As soon as it's in I will post feed back on it.

mitsuturbo

Quoting slugsgomoo:
Quoting boostin4door:
Quoting Beaner:

I wonder what pump they were using, since that would actually matter. A fuel pump should flow its highest volume at a relatively low pressure, and flow should actually drop as pressure increases.

I'm going to go get an absolutely definitive measurement on the ID of my fuel line where the filter is bolted on RIGHT NOW.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts