The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need help on my charging system

I have a 92 vr4 and I am having problem with my charging system. I replaced my alternator because it shows on my reading on my digital volt meter my voltage is dropping while running. When I start the car after seating for a couple of days, the voltage reading is in normal, then it starts dropping while the car is idling after 3 minutes. So i replaced the alternator and also the battery and still the voltage dropping still there. So I went back where i got my alternator and asked them to replaced the alternator they gave because I thought it might be defective. They gave a another one and install it on my car and still have the same problem, now I assume it wasn't my alternator. This time I replaced the alternator relay and still have the problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I don't know what causing this voltage dropping, a help will be well approcciated.

list of parts i replaced:
alternator (twice)
battery
alternator relay.

thnx

bazeng

Have you checked the cabling to the alternator?

Confirm that you have a good connection to the battery from the alternator (confirm via millimetre / check resistance). Someone the wire can degrade overtime / break. Especially is you have oil leaks from the ps system our even from the engine. Check that it is grounding to the motor also.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
What voltage does the car start charging at and what voltage is it dropping to?

Check the FSM for voltages at specific temperatures here:
lilevo.com/mirage/

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned